Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old November 5th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I'm curious...well, actually, I need some hope and good news...has the team determined any root causes on why topic editing has become so unstable?

Since the conversion to HTML, there have been many folks posting about topics causing RW to crash. But even in just my own realm, the wonky ones behave differently. For example, two new topics added after the all the upgrades (in other words both created using the newest version in a fully synchronized realm) are giving me issues. One topic, I can't even view without RW crashing. Another I can view, but when I edit it, once I save, it crashes.

I'm afraid to add or edit content in RW. I have a game this Saturday and I want to at least avoid "corrupting" any other topics I need to access during the game. I'm now writing all additional content in "supplemental notes" in Google Docs that I will print and have at the table to cross-reference with RW.

If any root issues or patterns have been identified, I would love to know if there is anything I should do or avoid doing. After the first RW-crashing topic, I thought that deleting any default snippet from a topic was causing issues. But that doesn't seem to be the (or at least the only) cause of all topics crashing.

Wasted game prep time this evening is having me feel rather defeated.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote

Last edited by MNBlockHead; November 5th, 2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo and tone corrections
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 5th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I wish I could help narrow down these issues, but I've set Realm Works aside since 201 was released. I'm not dependent on it, so I can wait while things like seemingly random crashing issues are fixed.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old November 6th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Feeling Your pain MNB (and the rest of the community for that matter) and like Parody I parked mine at 200 until this "major update" (presumed) migrates from the major oops to something usable.

I have resisted the urge to post much at all of late simply because all of you have conveyed my thoughts on all so well I had little to add,

Soon
Key to the Past
Bianary Code

and for that matter, this post will probably be viewed as such.

Interesting that most would define a major update as items that were actually on the update/release list.... I sure don't recall switching from RTF to HTML exclusively being on the poll (which we can't even visit the original line of questions so maybe my memory is off). I guess that is just another of the growing list of things "we" (incert LWD here) decided was what we wanted.

Conversion to HTML seems contrary to the kickstarter as well (see question #43 Here The most interesting part being>
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD
Over time, we'll be replicating all the functionality of the client application onto the server through a web-based interface. The net result will be duplicate functionality with both a purely online interface and the client application, catering appropriately to anyone in any environment. At some point, the sands will have shifted enough that we leave the client application behind entirely.
Now to me "replicating" doesn't equal replace. BUT total conversion of EVERYONE's realms without "we" being conveyed as to why seems like the first step to "leaving behind" xxx.doc & xxx.RTF formatting to move to a solely online use. I understand the appeal and versatility that HTML brings, but since the majority still utilize word processing programs, PDF's, etc, the only conclusion I can "Assume" is this move is to support Marketplace?

Don't get me wrong, while improved features for linking, assigning tags, assigning 3rd party software links, etc are all fine and good, I guess I just don't see where that gets us to completing "major" elements that are on this presumed list starting with the Content Market? LWD consistent defense is we don't have the manpower resources to do everything at once.. sure I get that too, small company = priorities but it certainly doesn't appear like those priorities are being worked.

And here we are a year (for some of us more) later and we are minimally further along on seeing the completion of said polling priorities except to hear "soon".

The Kickstarter (which encouraged many to make this purchase including myself) repeatedly states we are " in the homestretch" of refinements and improvements, when in reality it is over the distant horizon somewhere to arrive "Soon"

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 6th, 2015, 07:12 AM
I did have this behavior after the major update, but along the way it has gotten better and better to now with all the latest patches applied, I have done extensive work in RW and added extensive amount of screen captures, and it has been rock solid.

If you have put it aside, are you sure it still is an issue for you individually?

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old November 6th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
If you have put it aside, are you sure it still is an issue for you individually?
I wondered that, because I've only had one crash since 205 came out. It was irritating, but not a major issue - and I had to do a lot of updating, because I'm running a game tomorrow.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 6th, 2015, 08:26 AM
201 worked and made me happy, 202 blew me up, 205 put me back together. I'm gun shy now and making backups periodically as I edit for now. The switch to HTML may continue having tremors for months to come.

@DLG: How can a web client for viewing and editing be implemented without all the display text being html compliant? I guess RW could display everything as straight text but that would strip all formatting. The 201 update was probably the most important update since release as it lays the foundation for everything in the future.

HTML is a markup language in many ways doing exactly what WordPerfect and other early word processors did. It just marks things to start bold, text text text, end bold, and voila you have formatted text. From there, it's not too big a step to move to printing and then eventually export. Once RW data starts getting posted to the web, printing is essentially enabled (because you can capture a web page to a PDF) however formatting of printed content will probably need tweaking to really make us happy. But all that has been promised is basic printing and I think LWD is well on the way to fulfilling that.

Hang in there. I'm betting Rob has a present for us for Christmas.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old November 6th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
I wondered that, because I've only had one crash since 205 came out. It was irritating, but not a major issue - and I had to do a lot of updating, because I'm running a game tomorrow.
This, to be honest, was surprising good news... thanks for sharing Lexin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
201 worked and made me happy, 202 blew me up, 205 put me back together. I'm gun shy now and making backups periodically as I edit for now. The switch to HTML may continue having tremors for months to come.
Those are my concerns as well....

Quote:
@DLG: How can a web client for viewing and editing be implemented without all the display text being html compliant? I guess RW could display everything as straight text but that would strip all formatting. The 201 update was probably the most important update since release as it lays the foundation for everything in the future.
Not implying that it could be done without incorporating HTML.. (as I noted above) I am implying that this seems a deviation from the original plan as defined by the kickstarter as not to occur until much later...(which is why I even linked to the comment (#43) in the KS) I don't see where the Content Market would need to be able to edit within it. But without much disclosure on what or how the CM would work or look, its difficult to foresee the why of some things.

Quote:
HTML is a markup language in many ways doing exactly what WordPerfect and other early word processors did. It just marks things to start bold, text text text, end bold, and voila you have formatted text. From there, it's not too big a step to move to printing and then eventually export. Once RW data starts getting posted to the web, printing is essentially enabled (because you can capture a web page to a PDF) however formatting of printed content will probably need tweaking to really make us happy. But all that has been promised is basic printing and I think LWD is well on the way to fulfilling that.
I comprehend perfectly what HTML does / is.... It is simply an observation that LWD knew that the end user was utilizing RTF and pulled the rug out from under them without warning. And the migration to client viewing and editing is in conflict with the listed goals of the original mission plan. It would seem the "sand" (mentioned in#43 of KS Comments) has already shifted....

Quote:
Hang in there. I'm betting Rob has a present for us for Christmas.
Well I'm still waiting for last years gifts... and the year before that....

A few come to mind....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD
24. Can I reveal information to individual players rather than to all players?

Setting the visibility of individual items per-player is a priority for us, but the first release of Realm Works won’t provide this ability. The ability to reveal material to individual players is already designed into the infrastructure of how we manage everything internally. However, there's a fair bit of complexity in exposing all the controls cleanly for the GM within the UI, especially when you want to reveal “ItemX” to one subset of players, “ItemY” to a different subset of players, etc. So that's why the feature is not going to be included in V1.0. It should be integrated relatively soon after initial release, since the hardest pieces are already handled.

Snippet from Question #27 dealing with drill down to character level

..............Where this gets complicated is that one or more players may be running characters in different parties, and they need to know only what their character knows. This means knowledge must be controlled at the character level instead of at the player level.

This level of functionality is not something we had considered prior to the Kickstarter, and there are some complications associated that will take some time to integrate. However, we think this would be pretty cool, and the architecture we've designed should be able to accommodate it cleanly. So, we've added this to our to-do list so we can make sure this gets slated for inclusion at an appropriate time as an enhancement to Realm Works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG
Guess its not appropriate yet for PC level. but was expecting at least down to individual player based on comment above.
OR

34. Will Realm Works be able to export content? If so, to which formats?

Realm Works will not have export capability in its initial release. As with most products, our focus in the initial launch is to have Realm Works do its own tasks exceptionally well, and to efficiently get material into the product. We wholly expect there will be demand for export to other products and formats, and we'll shift our focus to include those capabilities once we get the core product off the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG
I guess 2 plus years later we are still not off the ground....
OR

Key Realm Works Features (That Already Exist)

............ Here's a summary of the most important features
Scroll Down to Key Features..................
Create custom calendars for your world. Link multiple calendars together and see how all the dates translate to your master calendar. Calendars can reflect different in-game cultures, lunar calendars, and worlds.

OR the Best for Last

42. Why is Realm Works any different than other products that have promised similar things and fallen short or failed to deliver?

We certainly understand the hesitancy based on past endeavors from others that never saw the light of day. You can rest assured that Realm Works is completely different for the following reasons:
1.The single biggest thing is that the hardest pieces are already working! You've seen it yourself in the video, and that’s a great place to point others since seeing is believing. The video shows many of the cool features we've already got implemented, and that should go a long ways towards mitigating concerns about our ability to deliver.
3.Since everything you see in the video and other places is working today, it's not a question of whether we will deliver. It's merely a question of how much more ...........
5.Remember, we've been developing Realm Works for almost three years now (As of Feb 2013). That stuff in the video isn't a bunch of prototypes or an unrealizable vision that you might have seen in other Kickstarters. The images you see on the Kickstarter page and on our website are actual images from the current version. It all works! It’s all in the hands of our existing Beta team today!

The bottom line is that we know what we're doing, we understand what tools gamers want, and we've already got all the hardest pieces working. That's a completely different formula from most Kickstarters, and it's why we'll be able to deliver Realm Works just a handful of months from now.
Note all of these quotes were posted in Feb of 2013.......

If the latest rash of cascade "bugs" (from 201-205) is due to a shift to HTML migration in support of the market place, who can say, since we have no idea what that will even look like.

And to defend from the other side of the fence..............

So many end users would not have continued this 2 plus year bug swarm that would rival the days of pharaoh if they didn't see the hope and the possibilities that Realm Works could bring. Myself included.

All we can hope is that things will be better "Soon".

Thanks to Lexin for providing a glimmer of hope.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 6th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I don't have a problem with the conversion to HTML as it will bring us closer to a web version and the marketplace and the marketplace will be a big step towards making export/printing possible and will allow resources to be allocated to getting the journals released, so we can move on down the development pipeline.

The conversion to HTML, however, caused users a lot of inconvenience. Maybe it could have been beta tested better, but I suppose that there are so many variables that it would be hard to catch everything.

For me, I had no issues at also with the prior updates. I lost track of the updates and what I did at which step, but I do know that the most recent topic that crashes RW was created after all updates had been applied. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of original text with that one.

I'm very cautiously using RW...I kinda have to to run my campaign. But for any substantial amount of test I'm writing it out in another program and cutting and pasting into RW. Also, before editing any topic I'm taking screen shots in case it goes bad and I am no longer able to access it.

MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old November 6th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I thought the conversion to HTML was because of the web based interface and not necessarily the content market. Just my opinion.
Viking2054 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 6th, 2015, 02:17 PM
@Viking2054 I think the fact that they've developed the beta Web version already and have been showing teasers of it, they wanted that firmed up and wanted everyone converted to support it before they start putting content-creator content in the CM. I don't think that there was any technical reason content had to be in HTML for the CM, but I don't know.

MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote