Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Parody

Old October 11th, 2017, 06:51 PM
I had to go check, but my oldest with items outstanding is also the Order of the Stick one.

Parody is offline   #111 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 17th, 2017, 11:39 AM
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...t=59343&page=2
BJ is offline   #112 Reply With Quote
uoutoftoon

Old October 17th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the update BJ - good things to come for sure! Info directly from the Devs makes me feel more connected to the product

Once CM and the Web version are sorted to satisfaction, I suspect we will see a notable increase in the prevalence of RW usage by game masters, especially those new to the hobby. Many have come to expect these type of capabilities elsewhere in our lives.

Much of the fun for me is seeing the interwoven realm in front of me evolve and interact with the players own story. RW allows for a visualization of the entirety in a way a sequential hardcopy, or even linked pdf's, just can't do; a significant boon for GM/Player immersion regardless of whether you prefer old school pen/paper/minis or roll20 and VTT.

FYI - Exploring the 'Free Content' realms such as Isle of Kandril, was a huge factor in helping me get a sense for how I could use RW in my gaming. A growing CM library should do the same for all of us, especially those who don't have programmer type minds or for those who know the product more intimately and just appreciate some inspiration.
uoutoftoon is offline   #113 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old October 17th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate to hear of your progress and setbacks.

Even though I would not like RW to go web-based only, since I work on my realms quite often at places without network access.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #114 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Even though I would not like RW to go web-based only, since I work on my realms quite often at places without network access.
So do I! The assumption that everyone is connected at all times, and all content can be consumed just by opening a browser is damn utopia. Currently I am abroad and the internet is so sorry that i have to wait for minutes to synchronize the content. I don't want to imagine how struggling the experience will be over the internet only.

I hope LW are not going commit sepukku and go "web only" and/or chase the wet dream "as a service". I have been looking for a long time for campaign organizer, and when I found RW I ditched my plans to write my own, archiving the source code for good. It just worked and did all I wanted and more. Like an Apple ad... Please, don't fuck up.

Nowadays, everyone is trying to milk the users for constant flow of cash. While this can work in enterprise environment and leads to cost savings and benefit both the customer and the developers, I doubt home users who launch the program several time per week after the initial bulk upload (as i did for every DH2 book) will find it appealing.

Somehow I was triggered, and to stay civil (especially since nothing leads me to believe that such atrocity "as a service" is being considered), I will share a post that I like and share completely: http://chrisrosser.net/posts/2017/06...ridge-too-far/

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #115 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 23rd, 2017, 12:07 PM
For DMing I have no plans to use the Web browser. Web browsers are always slower than that program versions. I just want it for my players.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #116 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old October 23rd, 2017, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
For DMing I have no plans to use the Web browser. Web browsers are always slower than that program versions. I just want it for my players.
Here I agree. I noticed that (especially when you play online), players are using various devices, platforms and the only universal solution is web, and it is perfect for quick-check or between the session stuffs.

For the RW itself, LW can make it cross-platform, even though they made some architectural decisions that make this hard now (i remember a post from staff member on this topic). If they are not having this as an option, i have managed to run it flawlessly on MacOS via Parallels and VirtualBox. Linux was ok with VirtBox, but i didn't have patience to struggle with Wine.

Valyar is offline   #117 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old October 23rd, 2017, 01:19 PM
IIRC, they've said from the beginning that server access would never be required other than when initially setting up a Realm, unless one wanted to sync one's realm to the cloud for sharing with other devices.

Their entire business model for RW has been "buy the license, use it on as many devices as you wish for however long you want." They will sell cloud storage, but it's always been said that users won't have to purchase that.

Doesn't that all by itself say that they're not planning to go web-only or to sell it exclusively as a service? Maybe I misunderstand...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #118 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:03 PM
The business model of Ulysses app was same, and suddenly they become either greedy or out of ideas how to make each new version as paid upgrade. When they did that, the backlash was amazing, I was reading their FB page with popcorns and coke as a side.

I have faith though, that RW won’t go this way. I am vivid supporter of this program

Valyar is offline   #119 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:14 PM
I would have nothing against paid MAJOR upgrades though. And if you upgrade / use the latest version you'll get a minimum cloud service on top (that would be amazing).

With one major version say every 1-2 years it is almost like a subscription, but:
a) I can still use the program if i dont upgrade
b) I support the company and they support me because they have an incentive to deliver features we all want

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #120 Reply With Quote