Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Ualaa

Old March 29th, 2020, 04:04 PM
I'd read it as the GM's version is correct within the GM's game.

But that the player's version would be correct if they wanted to take it elsewhere or retire it, etc.
Ualaa is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 29th, 2020, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
I'd read it as the GM's version is correct within the GM's game.

But that the player's version would be correct if they wanted to take it elsewhere or retire it, etc.
And I'm sure that many others would agree with that interpretation, including myself. However, there is a broad spectrum of users and play styles out there, and a product like HL has to strive to accommodate as many of those styles as possible. That philosophy is at the core of everything HL does, and it has been that way since the very beginning. For example, our use of validation checks instead of strict enforcement of the rules throughout the product embodies that philosophy.

Some players have no problem with a GM saying "hand over your character", then taking it, making changes, and handing it back. Others would take offense and leave the game. And there's a wide swath of "grey" in how GMs can handle that well in a social context. However, if we just gave GMs "free reign" to muck about with a PC, it would take "hand over your character" to an even further extreme, since the player would not necessarily even know about it.

So we need to take everyone into consideration and devise a model that is reasonable and predictable for all involved. That's on the roadmap, and even core to how the underlying code has already been written, but we haven't gotten it into place yet in the UI.
rob is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Koro76

Old March 30th, 2020, 02:43 PM
Rob, I really like the idea of what things are able to be edited are governed by the campaign itself, that way, HLO can just have a pop up that players agree to when they join the campaign, and there's no surprises.
Koro76 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 31st, 2020, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koro76 View Post
Rob, I really like the idea of what things are able to be edited are governed by the campaign itself, that way, HLO can just have a pop up that players agree to when they join the campaign, and there's no surprises.
That is EXACTLY the plan. Full disclosure for everyone up front. No surprises regarding what to expect. Everybody is happy and GMs can exert as much or as little control over the players as they want.
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote