Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

dbadger

Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:43 PM
Hi.

Those (like myself) who participated in the Kickstarter at "Pack Member" level received the game but no cloud service. Has there been any developments on this front to let us get Cloud Service? There's no way (that I know) for me to upgrade my license to gain it or add it separately, so I'm forever locked in an offline-only version of Realm Works. I know the answer is, "you should've pledged more money", but I don't think anyone expected things to take this long.

Are there any workarounds for this? Maybe offer a new license that has 6 months of Cloud Service included for half off or something?

Thanks.
dbadger is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:23 PM
I don't think it will help you now, but once the content market goes live you should be able to sign up for a subscription to cloud service. I don't remember if they have ever posted a proposed pricing model though.
Viking2054 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 27th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I am confused now...

I am able to upload my realm and then sync it down to other devices.

Isn't this supposed to be the Cloud Service?

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 27th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I am able to upload my realm and then sync it down to other devices.

Isn't this supposed to be the Cloud Service?
Yes, that's part of Cloud Service. Did you pledge at the Pack Member ($35) level in the Kickstarter? Only those folks do not have Cloud Service.

Last edited by Parody; February 27th, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Parody is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 27th, 2016, 02:19 PM
OK - thank you for the clarification.

I discovered RW too late for the kickstarter; I didn't realise the kickstarters haven't got cloud service.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 27th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Not all KS purchasers. Just those at "Pack Member" level that specifically chose not to use the cloud. It's unfortunate that they have in effect been put in Limbo until cloud service is actually activated and has an actual cost so they can reconsider. I'm sure that many of those that made that choice originally did so for financial reasons or lack of understanding what no cloud service really would mean.

We don't hear much from that group of 579 buyers that I am aware of. I am curious what issues they might be experiencing and what the impact of no cloud service has had on them and their use of RW.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 27th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
We don't hear much from that group of 579 buyers that I am aware of. I am curious what issues they might be experiencing and what the impact of no cloud service has had on them and their use of RW.
At this point, there are really only two significant constraints on Pack Member backers from the Kickstarter. First, they can't sync up to cloud, which means they also can't sync back down onto a second computer. Consequently, moving data between a desktop and laptop requires performing a backup on ComputerA, then restoring it onto ComputerB. Second, they can't utilize Player Edition, which fundamentally requires the cloud.

I believe we did a pretty good job of conveying the limitations during the Kickstarter, since only a small number of those users have asked us about upgrading thus far. Once we finally launch the Content Market, I expect that to change dramatically, so we'll need to be ready to accommodate those users when that occurs.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 27th, 2016, 04:52 PM
That's really good to hear, Rob. Thanks.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Staglord

Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:14 PM
Resurrecting an old post

@rob
You mentioned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I believe we did a pretty good job of conveying the limitations during the Kickstarter, since only a small number of those users have asked us about upgrading thus far. Once we finally launch the Content Market, I expect that to change dramatically, so we'll need to be ready to accommodate those users when that occurs.
You did indeed convey it very well. In your post it sounds like some of these 500 ish people have contacted you after your message on the kickstarter. Am I to understand an upgrade is possible or do we have to wait until the content market.

The reason I ask is, as you might guess, am a part of these 500 people and regret I did not upgrade back then and now ask if it is possible?
Staglord is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staglord View Post
Am I to understand an upgrade is possible or do we have to wait until the content market.

The reason I ask is, as you might guess, am a part of these 500 people and regret I did not upgrade back then and now ask if it is possible?
I may regret posting this, since we've had to do a lot of juggling in light of my health-related setbacks over the past couple months, and this is all subject to change. But I'll trust that you take this in the spirit it is intended.

The working plan is to give all Pack Member backers full server access in conjunction with the Content Market launch, ideally simultaneously. That server access would come with a relatively short lifespan before it would then expire, but it would also give everyone an opportunity to play around with it and assess whether they find it useful for their purposes. Upon expiration, any Pack Member backer would have the option to renew their subscription, essentially turning all Pack Members into regular users that simply have a different initial expiration on server access (and which can always be restarted again in the future).

As I mentioned above, this is the working plan (i.e. best info available at the moment). We're still making a bunch of adjustments due to my diminished efficiency (I'm slowly improving, but lots of development tasks necessarily remain on my plate). It is distinctly possible that we won't deliver full server access to Pack Members under the above plan simultaneously with the Content Market launch. That change might follow a little bit afterward, depending on factors that are still unknown (i.e. how fast I get back into full form).

That being said, the above general strategy is what we're pursuing for Pack Member backers. The open questions are exactly when we'll get it into place (highly dependent on my recovery rate) and details like the length of server access we offer Pack Members, which is being actively discussed.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote