Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old July 21st, 2017, 08:17 PM
I am in the process of adding every official magic item to RW for the game I run. There are probably at least a couple hundred separate items to add. I looked at the special item category but there is no way to add items to specific categories. So I turned to general equipment articles. In there I have the primary "contained article" of of HARP magic items, then I have the specific contained articles like: Armor and Shields, Potions, Weapons, etc. Then under each category I have each magic item.
In the process of adding them I realized most of the magic items only have maybe one or two sentences max for their descriptions, so there has to be a better way.

My first idea is to have a contained article for each group like: Armor and Shields, Potions, Weapons, etc. Then create separate snippets for each specific item within that contained article.
That is unless there is a article somewhere that I missed that already contains this that I have not discovered yet.

Does anyone have other ideas for my dilemma?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:00 AM
The downside of putting multiple items in one Topic/Article is that you can't link to them directly. Nowadays you can give the Topic/Article multiple Names to get linking, but you'll still end up at the top. It's up to you whether being able to jump directly to an item's info is worth it for small amounts of info.

Parody is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 22nd, 2017, 03:00 AM
There are some trade offs to consider.

Lots of topics is clearly superior in the way RW is meant to operate. so what if each one only holds a snippet or two on average? They all link when needed and you can add images and further info painlessly as time goes on.

However beyond a certain point, depending to some degree on your system's hardware, a realm with a lot of topics will load more slowly and will do things like create/switch tabs more slowly.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
The downside of putting multiple items in one Topic/Article is that you can't link to them directly. Nowadays you can give the Topic/Article multiple Names to get linking, but you'll still end up at the top. It's up to you whether being able to jump directly to an item's info is worth it for small amounts of info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
There are some trade offs to consider.

Lots of topics is clearly superior in the way RW is meant to operate. so what if each one only holds a snippet or two on average? They all link when needed and you can add images and further info painlessly as time goes on.

However beyond a certain point, depending to some degree on your system's hardware, a realm with a lot of topics will load more slowly and will do things like create/switch tabs more slowly.
Very true. The trade off for me is not having links to various topics or articles as my system can easily handle it. I am not sure if that would be needed or not.
The major downside to creating a container for each item is that each and every time I open RW all the trees are open. In that I wish they would implement the save to include the last state.
I assume the way I am doing it is the way most people have done it.

Thanks!

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Madmaxneo is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:03 AM
Two things to keep in mind.

There is a single keystroke shortcut to collapse everything in the nav pane. It's handy if you have a big realm and you find all the open stuff is annoying.

Secondly it is very easy to use one of the generic topic/article types as a container or list type to organize other topics and articles. All the magic swords could go under an article named magic swords, which could include what ever generic information existed about such, which would be under a similar article "magic weapons."

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Two things to keep in mind.

There is a single keystroke shortcut to collapse everything in the nav pane. It's handy if you have a big realm and you find all the open stuff is annoying.
Yes, it is ctrl/shift/(-). I know this but would like it set so that the last area I had open would remain open so it is much easier to find the last thing I was working on.
Quote:
Secondly it is very easy to use one of the generic topic/article types as a container or list type to organize other topics and articles. All the magic swords could go under an article named magic swords, which could include what ever generic information existed about such, which would be under a similar article "magic weapons."
Hmm, that I was already doing as described in my original post.

Madmaxneo is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:07 AM
The way I was doing it seems to be working out the best so far.

Thanks for the info and inspiration everyone!

Madmaxneo is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 2nd, 2017, 12:30 AM
I am entering a rules book for a company and it has several races with each race having classes, feats, equipment, magical items, and spells. I created a container for each group and within each container was another container for each race. It is set up like this:

World Magic Items
> Race 1 Magic Items
>> Magic Item 1
>> Magic Item 2
> Race 2 Magic Items
>> Magic Item 1
>> Magic Item 2

For your project, I would so something similar where you have a container for potions, weapons, armor, wand, etc. Each container could have sub containers like weapons would have swords, daggers, hammers or use other categories.

And remember to use tags.

Just my $.02.
ruhar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote