Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Harneloot

Old March 12th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Hello,

I did a search but could not find the answer to this question so...I have inputted a decent amount of text in my Map Pins Descriptions and GM Directions which is great - very easy to use. However, when I hover over the pin, the text only stays visible for ~8 seconds. Is there a way to lengthen this time? If not, other suggestions on how to better input the room descriptions associated with each map pin?

Thanks!
Harneloot is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 12th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Generally it is better to link each pin to a topic. Then you can choose to use a map for navigation in the context menu for that map which will put it in the left pane. clicking on a pin will open the topic in the center pane. That makes using a map very easy IMO.
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Harneloot

Old March 12th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Thanks - I will try that if I cannot find any other solution. I like to have the Full Navigation panel open on the left (rather than just the map) so I can see my whole small realm and all the different parts and then just have the map open with the pins in the large area on the right.
Harneloot is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 13th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Using a topic for each location also means that you will have the auto-linking work for the text of the room description allowing faster navigation to other topics.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old March 15th, 2016, 04:32 AM
As I was "pinning" a new city and attaching associated topics, I noticed that the map was beginning to look cluttered with the Pin and its underlying Topic Icon. I realized that it would be much more user friendly if there were Pin Icons that differentiated between a simple Pin and one that had an associated topic. (Add this idea to all the rest of the Pin Improvement requests. )
GThiel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 15th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GThiel View Post
I realized that it would be much more user friendly if there were Pin Icons that differentiated between a simple Pin and one that had an associated topic. (Add this idea to all the rest of the Pin Improvement requests. )
A pin with an associated topic has a little flag to the right; which also indicates if the topic has been revealed (separately from the pin being revealed).

Last edited by Farling; March 15th, 2016 at 08:23 AM.
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old March 15th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I know about the little box to the side, what I was trying to get at would be a single pin icon with perhaps 4 states; Pin Only. Pin Only Revealed, Pin w/Topic, Pin w/Topic Revealed. In a crowded environment, a Pin with a Topic box does take up real estate blocking view of the underlying structures. This not a complaint aimed at LW, more of a hopeful suggestion :-)
GThiel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 15th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Any map, once get past a dozen or so pins, looks cluttered. I turn off pins for those maps as I can mouse over the areas and the pop-up text tells me what I'm hovering over.

You may want to break up a large map into smaller pieces by creating zones or quadrants or neighborhoods. The smaller maps will limit the number of pins you see at once and provide a larger image of the specific area you are looking at. I find that the Windows Snipping Tool works great for creating these sections.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 15th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Any map, once get past a dozen or so pins, looks cluttered. I turn off pins for those maps as I can mouse over the areas and the pop-up text tells me what I'm hovering over.

You may want to break up a large map into smaller pieces by creating zones or quadrants or neighborhoods. The smaller maps will limit the number of pins you see at once and provide a larger image of the specific area you are looking at. I find that the Windows Snipping Tool works great for creating these sections.
This! I find a large map with more than 20 pins pretty much useless. I break all my maps down as small as possible.
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 15th, 2016, 11:38 AM
There have been requests to create maps that link to other maps. So you could have a city map with 6 zones that each has a pin that leads to a smaller zone map with the actual location pins.
AEIOU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote