Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

SAbel

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hey TCArknight,
I also fall under that time problem (hence the late night posts) I think that the D20 is a much better way to go I tried to go the 4e way but it does not go very far before it needs a large amount of work, and from scratch is well beyound me at this time, I ve tried that with L5R system and mainly ran in circles. I will let you know when I get moving with Data.

Sean
SAbel is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM
If I have not purchased the D20 rules and I edit them for Star Wars Saga (I made a duplicate of D20 and started working on the files) it gives me the message that I am using it in demo mode ect. But If I rework the rules to be a different system is there a way to get it out of Demo mode or do I have to purchase the D20 rule set?
SAbel is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Once I have star wars info in ie character classes and races it should be okay for me to delete the D&D material correct?

Last edited by SAbel; July 8th, 2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: posted wrong message here
SAbel is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
You do need to purchase the d20 system to make a derivative of it.

Once you add your Saga material, you'll use the hidden mechanism (discussed in another thread or three on this forum) to hide everything that isn't needed, rather than deleting it, but yes, once you have the Saga material functioning, you'll remove the d20 material from everything the normal user can access.
Mathias is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old December 31st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Here's a thought, what about using the Pathfinder data to make the Saga stuff?

I gave up my d20 for pathfinder, but seems like that might be a good fit. And I'd love to get some SAGA done since I am going to be starting a game here before too long.

Any thoughts?

TC
TCArknight is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
flamepulse

Old January 1st, 2010, 03:26 PM
probably this biggest hurdle is going to be the condition bar. not sure how you would go about that in the software
flamepulse is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old January 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Star Wars Saga was the test bed for 4th Ed so it is the inbetween of 3.5 and 4. It would be easier to build from the D20 Data set BUT I wish it was more 4E.
From the D20 its a matter of adding races, classes equipment then figuring out bonuses and starting off Hit points ect. Plus addin in Force stuff. Thats all LMAO not much that a person could probably spend a year working on
SAbel is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
djc664

Old January 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Words to the wise...

This path has been walked before. I think you may be interested in reading what transpired in d20 revised days here:
http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/show...?threadid=9691

Basically LF will not look kindly to you sharing your work (they obviously can do little to you for private things made which never see the light of the internet...), and WotC *must* serve notice as well the minute they find out about it as part of their license agreement. It states that they must defend LF's interests and license in that way by being a licensee themselves.

WotC's license *only* includes RPGs and printed materials related, *not* digital product, hence why no generator is out by them as part of their online services. The PDFs for Dawn of Defense went through a special "promotional item" loophole which serves for the web-add-on content... that's why its free. EDIT: this is also why there were never PDFs offered of the SAGA books, even when they were selling PDFs of everything else in their library (pre-4e slate cleaning).

I loves me some SAGA, but its official through bags of money or not at all; so sayeth overlord George! I'd hate for you to put a ton of work to find that out the hard way.

EDIT: Unless you show that love through (I'm making an educated guess here) hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars for the digital rights, you can certainly expect a C&D on an attorney's letterhead. Running afoul of LF's legal team is much like your PC falling in Lava. You're dead. No Save.

Last edited by djc664; January 6th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
djc664 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
If you started with the 4E files and adapted them, you'd have access to the full source code of the data files. This would give you maximum flexibility in adapting the files to whatever purpose you deem appropriate. So that's a definite advantage of starting with the 4E files.

That being said, the point about Lucas being hyper-vigilant in policing the IP is accurate and worth noting. If someone were to put in all the work to develop appropriate SAGA data files, it would be a shame if no one could actually use the files. I have *no* idea what the legalities of freely distributed data files would be. Since the data files would not be running on someone's website, there would be no central location to shut down. However, it would be unlikely that the files could be actively promoted anywhere. If folks simply kept it low-key and shared the data files amongst themselves, it might run below the radar at Lucas. Then again, a nasty letter from Lucas' legal department isn't exactly something anyone would enjoy. In the immortal words of Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?" :-)
rob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old January 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I love you Mr. Lucas! I would never do anything to get a bad letter or a Stormtropper at my door with the set to kill weapon
SAbel is offline   #20 Reply With Quote