Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Frodie

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Trying again to see if I can get the Knowledge skills to show up on a pick and I think I found an easy work around. If I bootstrap the skill – Knowledge Local to the Conspiracy Hunter trait it will show up in the selection drop box, but it will not give the +1 to the skill like it will with the other skills. Is there a way to fix this, or is it still too much.
Frodie is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
You'll need to give me more detail about what's going on, because I don't understand why that wouldn't work.

Is it possible that it's giving the bonus, but you're not seeing it because knowledge skills are only usable when trained? If you add a rank to that skill, does the total include the bonus?

Remember that if the user changes their mind about taking Consipracy Hunter, but still wants the knowledge skill in question, the knowledge skill that was bootstrapped by the pick will be removed, along with the number of ranks the user added, when the pick is removed. That's why this method isn't used in the normal Pathfinder system.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Yes, if you add a point to the skill it will give a total of 5, but if you give it to another skill it will show up as 1.
I think it should work if you remove the trait later on, you will lose the skill and ranks given by the trait. Not sure why you would get to keep it.
Frodie is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
If you've added skill ranks to that skill, you'll lose that information if you change your mind and delete the conspiracy hunter pick - those ranks aren't granted by the trait, they're spent out of your pool of skill points.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Oh, I see, well that is not good. Humm. Ok, well any ideas on the "bootstap" issue? It will show up in the drop box, but if you pick the knowledge skill, it just shows up on your skill list with no points. If you add another point it seems to work fine.
Frodie is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Are you trying to add a skill bonus, or are you trying to add skill ranks (as if skill points had been spent)?

When you select that skill as the target, does the total bonus of the skill remain "-", and the skill is still greyed out?

If so, try this; Add a different knowledge skill to the character, and add conspiracy hunter. Before you select a skill for conspiracy hunter, add a rank on the skills tab to each of those knowledge skills. They should both have the same bonus, since they're both INT-based skills with the same number of ranks.

Now, for conspiracy hunter, select the knowledge skill - the bonus for the two knowledge skills should now be different, since one is getting a bonus from conspiracy hunter.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old October 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Yes, too all of the above. Just trying to get the Knowledge skills to act like the other skills when they are chosen. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

What I am doing, is trying to fix the Modern Occupation backgrounds to where the user can chose a few skills to make a class skill, (just like the Conspiracy Hunter – Trait), and it all works fine except anything to do with a Knowledge, Craft, and/or Perform skill. That is why I bootstrapped the skill to the trait. That works great, the skill will show up in the drop box but as you said, “the total bonus of the skill remain "-", and the skill is still greyed out”. Maybe there is another way.

I saw the “d20” Modern user file, tried to do this with feats, but I couldn’t get it to transfer over correctly. The Pathfinder traits work great for this and I finally got the Knowledge skill too at least shows up in the drop box. Just can’t seem to get it to add the point like it will for any other skill.
Frodie is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM
The greying and the dash is a function of the fact that knowledge skills can't be used untrained.

The bonus point for your trait IS being added, but until the skill is trained, you can't see that bonus, because the whole skill is disabled.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote