Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

t-m

Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Is there a way to add, for example monster manual, monsters to combat?

Another question.

How can I manage casted spells? Should there be a "charges" like section in "in-play" -tab?
t-m is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
t-m wrote:
>
>
> Is there a way to add for example monster manual monster to combat?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking?
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
t-m

Old June 14th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking?
Sorry. This is a silly question.

For instance. My party encounters a dragon or a beholder. How do I create/import the beholder/dragon to the herolab?

I could track down the initiative, charges, hp and so on easily with the herolab.

If I'm right those monsters doesn´t have any levels. They are static creatures with level independence. So creating a monster class with the content editor is out of question.

My general knowledge about the d20 system is inadjacent so I'm sorry if I'm typing nonsense.
t-m is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM
At 05:51 AM 6/14/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
For instance. My party encounters a dragon or a beholder. How do I create/import the beholder/dragon to the herolab?

If I'm right those monsters doesn´t have any levels. They are static creatures with level independence. So creating a monster class with the content editor is out of question.
You can create any arbitrary creature by creating a new "character" and selecting "Custom Race" for the race. Then you can set the appropriate attribute values, add appropriate skills and attacks, etc. This is what I've done when running things like golems, trolls, gargoyles, and the like.

If you just want a placeholder for the monster for tracking initiative and the like, you don't need to setup attributes, attacks, etc. Just create the new "character", select "Custom Race", set the name to the monster type (e.g. Troll), and assign it permanent adjustments for initiative, HP, and AC. After that, you're all set with the minimum stuff to use the monster in the Tactical Console. The whole process should take you well under 60 seconds once you've done it a few times.

For monsters you expect to use more often, it's probably worth spending a couple minutes to setup the attacks and whatnot potentially creating special attacks via the Editor. But for one-shot monsters, you can reference the stats in the book and just use something simple in the TacCon to easily manage everything.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote