Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

DarthME

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Greetings,

I am a bit new to Hero Lab and M&M3e. I am trying to understand how the Energy Absorption power was built using HL. So if it wasn't already pre-built for us, how would one build it using HL?

Thanks
DarthME is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Also posted to the ATT and followed up there but basically, the power is built as "Enhanced Regeneration (Fades, Reaction)" according to Green Ronin. In Hero Lab, this is just Regeneration with "(Fades, Reaction)" and with "Stacks With" if you want it to add to an extant Regeneration power.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DarthME

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
That's for the reply, but that doesn't seem right.

In the books there is a sample power called Energy Absorption, which is accoriding to the book made with Enhanced Trait, Fades and Reaction. In Hero Lab they pre-made that power for us, selectable from form the power list. I want to know how to make Energy Absorption in HL if they had not already made it for us. Which I seem completey unable to duplicate using the effects they say.

Thanks again
DarthME is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
And, as per the reply on the Atomic Think Tank, if you decide to try to build it piecemeal, it's slightly different. Enhanced Trait was built for enhancing, well, traits. Non-powered things. Back in 2E, the question came up of how to provisionally boost a power by stacking and "Stacks With" was added as an Extra. This same use was ported to 3E because it worked and everyone knew how it functioned. Very recently, in errata, Enhanced Trait got changed to also have powers in one case.

So, in short, Hero Lab already has a way to do this with the rules as originally published. It is possible that they'll chase the moving target that is the refinement of 3E rules and add powers to the list of Enhanceable traits (although honestly, that gets a lot trickier because the powers in question have a more variable cost than, say, attributes). Until then, I've told you how to do it. Or at l think I have... not next to my copy of Hero Lab, so I may have missed a step.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DarthME

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks again but that does not work either.

In Hero Lab:
I added a Regen Power at rank 1.
I added a regen power at rank 5 with stacks with (the regen 1), fades and reaction the total cost for this was 15 points.

I also added Enegery Absoption: Regen 1 at a rank of 5 which cost a total of 3 points. That's a 12 point difference in the two powers, which is pretty significant.

I really appreciate your help, but the math just isn't working out for me.
DarthME is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Ah, I see. Hmm... I don't do 3E, but the cost for Energy Absorption seems awfully low (2 ranks for 1 pp?). Are you sure that there aren't any drop-down boxes you need to set? Usually when I see that, it's because there's options which cost at least 1 pp each and because none has been selected, it's reading as 0 pp/rank, which translates out to 2 ranks/pp in Mutants and Masterminds.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
That's interesting. Basically the Energy Absorption power is built simply as "Fades" on top of the power in question which does not add up at all to what Green Ronin provided for a cost (where they subtract 1, not fitting for the Reaction aspect).

I apologize for coming off as so short. I didn't recognize the actual situation due to my lack of 3E experience. Green Ronin apparently handwaved the cost. Either that or they weren't thinking when they issued the explanation.
Duggan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
CelticREI

Send a message via AIM to CelticREI Send a message via MSN to CelticREI Send a message via Yahoo to CelticREI

Old March 24th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Aye, they made Energy Absorption into just Fades and a handwave complication that ye can't access the power that has Fades until ye are hit by something that ye are suppose to Absorb. (A far cry from the Immunity+gain/boost power with Fades that it was in 2e)
CelticREI is offline   #8 Reply With Quote