Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EightBitz

Old August 21st, 2016, 10:01 PM
If you look through the core M&M3E book, you'll see a list of fifteen player archetypes. Battlesuit, Construct, Crime Fighter, Energy Controller, Gadgeteer, Martial Artist, Mimic, Mystic, Paragon, Powerhouse, Psychic, Shapeshifter, Speedster, Warrior and Weapon Master.

I got .por files from DriveThruRPG for the Sentinels and for villain archetypes. I got .por files from Green Ronin for characters in Ghost Town and Time of the Apes. But I can't find anything on either one of those sites, nor through Google searching, for the player archetypes.

I started entering the Battlesuit on my own, but I got tripped up a few times, and had to figure out how to properly link and connect the powers to the battle suit, and I had to figure out how to create some things that had custom names ... but this would go much quicker and easier for me if I could find official .por files ... assuming they exist.
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:32 AM
I think those came in the stock portfolios for Herolab.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
I think those came in the stock portfolios for Herolab.
Of course they did. *sigh* I was thrown off by the fact that there's no way to load those from within the interface, like you would load a class in Pathfinder. But now I found them, thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I had to take a phone call as I was typing that. I also meant to say thanks for the reply. And thank you, LWD for the effort in including those.

Last edited by EightBitz; August 22nd, 2016 at 06:17 AM.
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old August 22nd, 2016, 12:05 PM
Oh, FWIW, the .stock files exist in the system, and are actually the same file format as .por, so you can do Open Portfolio and then target the .stock files. You can change those files if you want, or you can use your own files as Stock files that will show up in the Encounter Builder.

The more you know. (y)
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 22nd, 2016, 05:37 PM
OK, one more question. I completely forgot about the encounter builder, because I never really use it. I've played Pathfinder the most, and when I want an animal or something, I'll create a new profile as an NPC, and choose the animal from the races.

That being said, I started entering the animals from the GM book. I notice that with the bat, the book indicates a toughness of -2. When I apply all the things specified in the book, the toughness for the bat defaults to 0. Everything else matches up: number of points spent, powers, advantages, abilities, etc. Everything matches up.

The book says that the base value for toughness is equal to stamina. A bat's stamina is 0, which makes it reasonable that toughness would default to 0. I checked the book's description of the shrinking power, which was the only thing I could think of that would affect toughness, but the rules say nothing to that effect.

When I load the bat from the encounter library, I see the same things. All the other stats and points match up, but toughness is 0.

With everything I'm seeing, this seems like a mistake in the book rather than a mistake that I'm making (which is usually what these discrepancies turn out to be) or an oversight in Hero Lab.

I've rarely found misprints in rule books (I'm not saying never, I'm saying rarely), but this doesn't seem to be the only one I've found in MM3. Earlier in the book, it says that characters need a strength of at least 1. But strength can be negative.

Later in the book, the description for "Whale" is "A roughly 5--foot long humpback or sperm whale."

My only reasonable conclusion is that this was supposed to read "50-foot".

So my question is, have I drawn a reasonable conclusion that the book's indication that bat's have a -2 toughness is an error, either in the context that the toughness should actually be 0 or in the context that the book omitted some sort of power or disadvantage that would modify the toughness to -2?
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:26 AM
The original book shows "50 feet", so yes, that's a typo. And yeah, the Bat's stats are kind of messed up... they also claim -18 points for abilities when it should be -24. Fortitude is at 0, which suggests that the Stamina isn't incorrectly listed. *shrug* Yeah, there are definitely some errors.

FWIW, 2E Shrinking did reduce Toughness, so I was expecting that to be the issue, a copy error, but that would be a -3, not a -2.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote