Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Lord of the Rings (Tabletop)

Notices

startrail

Old January 31st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Having a problem getting some of the Ally choices to work properly with some of the races. When i load up AB Creator, load the file lotr-en.def, and go to the Race tab; i can see how to add or remove allies from each army's list. The problem is with Umbar. The list is correct in the lotr-en.def file, but for some reason it doesn't work when i create a new Umbar army in AB EX.

Specifically: When i create an Umbar army i should be able to select <The Serpent Horde> as an ally, however it shows <The Corsair Fleets> in that spot.

Another odd thing is that i can't always edit the allies, i've tried removing roster.serpent and a few others from the list, saved the lotr-en.def file, opened AB EX and created Umbar. It still shows all the original allies including the corsair fleets.

Is there some other file that stores info about what army can ally with another? or is there some other spot in the lotr-en.def file that i need to look at?

Any help would be great as our club uses this program a lot and we want to be ready to go when the new Games Workshop units become available in February.
startrail is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Olorin

Old January 31st, 2008, 01:51 PM
The solution is within the lotr-en.def file, so you were in the right place, but allies must have reciprocity in order to work. (In other words, allies need to be listed in each other's allies list.) The problem isn't with the allies for Umbar--roster.serpent is listed correctly--but that Umbar was not listed as an ally for The Serpent Horde. Add roster.umbar in the list of allies for The Serpent Horde and the problem will be fixed. I'm actually working on a full update, and hope to have it available within a few days of the new book coming out.
Olorin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
startrail

Old January 31st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Awesome Olorin, thanks! That helped a lot.

roster.serpent now works with Umbar and i can select it as an ally.

Is there any way to stop <The Corsair Fleets> from showing up in the Umbar ally list in the AB-EX program? According to the book: Legions of Middle-Earth, The Corsair Fleets can have Umbar as an ally, but Umbar cannot have the Corsair Fleets as an ally. Seems pretty goofy to my way of thinking, but i didn't make the book hehe. If it can not be fixed i'll just post to all our members that use the AB-EX software to make sure they use Corsair as their main force.
startrail is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Olorin

Old January 31st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Glad I could help. Legions of Middle Earth is a notoriously buggy book. I noticed that discrepancy myself, but since GW has said that all alliances must be mutually legal in order to be valid (I think it was in White Dwarf somewhere), I think it makes more sense to assume that The Corsair Fleet was accidentally left out of Umbar's allies than that Umbar was accidentally put into The Corsair Fleet's allies. I assume that the question will be cleared up once the new "Harad" book comes out--actually, they have an advance copy at my GW, I should check--but in this case, I think it's better to err on the side of permissiveness.
Olorin is offline   #4 Reply With Quote