Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

H2Os

Old March 28th, 2014, 06:55 PM
So Realm Works sounds great, but I've a few questions and concerns.

Is Realm Works primarily for online campaigns? If not and is indeed intended for actual table top play, then everyone in the group would need to have a computer/handheld device?

I'm currently running a group through Rise of the Runelords. Does Realm works function for campaigns that are already built? Or is it primarily for GMs creating their own world?

Thank you for your time.

H2Os
H2Os is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Realm Works was designed primarily for face-to-face gaming. It will work for online games as well, but we'll need to make some adjustments and add some extensions for it to be truly optimized for online games.

There is only a need for the GM to have a computer to leverage Realm Works in face-to-face games. To make life easiest, a second monitor is ideal, but it's definitely not required to leverage Realm Works heavily during play. Once we release the Player Edition, it can be advantageous for players to have their own devices, but it's absolutely not necessary to get huge benefits from Realm Works.

You can use Realm Works equally well for both pre-built settings/adventures and entirely custom worlds. It excels at both, and members of our Beta team have used it extensively both ways with great success.

I strongly recommend that you view the Virtual Tour video of Realm Works that is available on the main page of the Realm Works website. It's only 3 minutes long and should give you an excellent idea of the various things the product can do. You can also look at any of our tutorial videos that are available on the website (accessible via the Support menu at the top). Here's a link to the site:
http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/

I'm sure other users will chime in with their thoughts on your questions as well. I kept my answers very general, but you're welcome to ask more detailed questions, and we'll all be happy to answer them as best we can.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 29th, 2014, 12:28 AM
There are wonderful little options for a second monitor. I've put a little on-lap screen which is powered by the USB port on my tablet, and plugs into the mini-HDMI output on the same tablet.

It is simply another panel, so can be positioned easily for the players to see the player view :-)
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
H2Os

Old March 29th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Thank you for the response. I did watch the video, and it really seemed like it was for GMs who are making their own campaign, atleast that's the impression I got. I've been looking for a way to help me organize my sessions better. Can someone give me an example on how RW allows me to do that for a non custom campaign? Is there a way to view the instructions for RW without having the program? I'd love to be able to see a full list of options that RW gives me.
H2Os is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old March 29th, 2014, 03:56 AM
It's for everyone.

I run a game set in the Forgotten Realms which has been ongoing since AD&D 2e. Since I got Realm Works, I've been (slowly) adding more and more detail about the setting from the published books (the 3rd Edition Campaign Setting book being my primary source), mostly about areas the PCs are adventuring in.

What I'm hoping is that at some point WotC will allow/agree/publish a 3E Forgotten Realms Realm Works campaign setting for integration. If they do, I'll buy it on the spot.

Right now, I'm stuck inputting what I need myself. But RW is perfect for me. Long and short: if you're a GM and you want a software tool for campaign management (any campaign), then Realm Works is the tool for you.
Chemlak is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Azmandius

Old March 29th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Some things you can do with Realm Works that will help any campaign:
  • You can enter NPC's and stats for quick access (no book flipping)
  • Stats can be from Hero Lab or Stat Block if you want, but for some I just type in the pertinent text
  • You can create or enter encounters, scenes, even entire adventures so that you can navigate them quickly
  • You can import maps and add your own notes and points of interest
  • Add your own custom content to boxed campaigns or adventures

These barely scratch the surface of what you can do.

In addition to creating realms for my own custom campaigns I have created one for the 7th Sea system. I am currently adding information for a three adventure set called the Erebus Cross and see how it will make things easier for me to pull up npc stats and such without touching the books. I will also be able to show maps (this set if adventures covers a lot of in game territory) and pictures of npc's and creatures on an additional monitor for the player view.

RW is replacing my normal wiki's and note taking systems. Having everything in one program, with tabs so I can have multiple scenes and npc's instantly available, will make my life a lot easier at the gaming table.
Azmandius is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old March 29th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Os View Post
Thank you for the response. I did watch the video, and it really seemed like it was for GMs who are making their own campaign, atleast that's the impression I got. I've been looking for a way to help me organize my sessions better. Can someone give me an example on how RW allows me to do that for a non custom campaign? Is there a way to view the instructions for RW without having the program? I'd love to be able to see a full list of options that RW gives me.
I work campaigns a bit differently. I use RealmWorks to note things after they happen. If the players meet an NPC (for my typically made up on the spot) I make notes right after the encounter (I then clean up the notes after the session). I note things like, was nice to player A, Player B confused them, Player C really pissed them off. This is all based on actual role-playing and the Charisma of the player and NPC.

I can also use 'Fog of War' when the players are dumb enough (or poor enough) to not buy a map of the area they are in. Sure, they know there is something to the north (everyone says so) but without a map, I have had many gaming sessions were the players are 'looking' for the object they are after. It sounds boring but in reality it is very fun as the players have to role-play (not roll play) and sometimes they find something else that they were not looking for.
Mmurphy is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old March 29th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Quote:
I am going to running the Wrath of the Righteous adventure path through Realm Works. It works ideally for adventure paths, especially complicated ones as it ties all the NPC's together through hyper links and flow charts as well as encounters. It shows off it's abilities very well and the players love it!!

You can do some reveals and show the players what you want as far as back grounds for NPC's and certain areas with knowledge checks for both the local area and for creature checks too. As far as prep work Realm Works is second to none for the GM. It gives you so so much things to give to the players when you enter them in to the database. When the players have a question the answer can just be a click away for you as the GM.

The tough part is just entering the data... but once you get going it goes fairly fast. Especially when you see the progress you are making and how cool it is once done!

I DO recommend this for what you are wanting to do with your campaigns H2O.. it is well worth the price!
Nikmal is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
H2Os

Old March 29th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Thank you for the responses. I do believe id like to try this, but I saw earlier its currently only for PC. As my only portable devices are an iPad and macbook, I wouldn't be able to make use of it during a session until a compatible one is created which they said isn't anytime soon.
I do have another question. Do you guys not use paper maps, or flip mats? I ask because its been mentioned about revealing certain parts of the map to players. Are you using a monitor laid flat on a table?

Last edited by H2Os; March 29th, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
H2Os is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I do believe id like to try this, but I saw earlier its currently only for PC. As my only portable devices are an iPad and macbook, I wouldn't be able to make use of it during a session until a compatible one is created which they said isn't anytime soon.
I do have another question. Do you guys not use paper maps, or flip mats? I ask because its been mentioned about revealing certain parts of the map to players. Are you using a monitor laid flat on a table?
The simplest use is to have a second monitor for display as a reference. You wouldn't use it for actual play (setting up miniatures and such). Just have it sitting on a table or stand as you normally would, but in a place where the players can view it.

Now, if you have the space and the money, and you wanted to set up a 60" monitor as a table top, well then . . . knock yourself out. :-D But that's not what most people do, and that's not its intended use.
EightBitz is offline   #10 Reply With Quote