Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

meek75

Old July 11th, 2017, 10:17 AM
I have been working on rooting out the issue. I did a series of smaller exports/imports in order to narrow down where the problem is hiding. I have now managed to export and then import everything in the mechanics section of the Savage Worlds Realm into the Savage Westeros Realm with one exception. The issue is somewhere in the Weapons>Ranged Weapons>Ammunition container. When I try to import any file with the ammunition included the import fails.

This was a lot of work, but I have saved most of the data at least. Fortunately this particular realm was not large. Perhaps the LWD team will see the issue and I can still get the rest. I jusst have to accept that for a very long time to come this sort of thing is going to be par for the course. I have a lot of realms and with every major update (and a couple of small ones) I have had issues and frustration. Perhaps things will settle down eventually and be less bug infested. I still value RW enough to hang in there (although a bit salty), but I can't really champion it either.

Thanks for all the helpful input.
meek75 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old July 11th, 2017, 11:03 AM
I also agree, the constructio nbehind RW should be more stable and just be able to cope with the data users are able to enter (and work with different identifiers under the hood) or at least continue help with fixing the issue.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old July 12th, 2017, 03:50 AM
Update:
There is a bug in the numeric snippets. It seems that a zero in a numeric snippets is causing the issue. I took out the zeros and the export/import went off without a hitch. The bug has been noted by the development team and will eventually be fixed.

I want to commend the quick and helpful response I got from the LWD customer support team. They do a great job, and in this area run circles around every other software company I have ever dealt with in the past.
meek75 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Other than it used to be for a while I rarely had crashes in the last weeks. There is just one thing that still annoys me, the Out of Memory crash I always encounter during game sessions. I understood that pictures and maps use a lot of memory. But I use RW to show quite a number of them to the players. To avoid memory problems I close them immediately after using so that just one or two stay open. But still after a few hours the crash occurs regularly. To me, this indicates that allocated memory is not freed completely after closing the pictures. But memory management is something nasty where bugs are sometimes hard to find so I will start complaining not earlier than after content market is finished

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 12th, 2017, 02:08 PM
RW is built using C# and the .NET framework. the .NET framework is supposed to handle memory management. It is notoriously bad at it. Most .NET apps are small stuff or things that don't run for hours on end with lots of resources opening and closing. Those work fine. It's just the rare app like RW that really has trouble.

There really may not be much the guys at LWD can do about the memory problems, except break down and go to 64 bit.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 13th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
RW is built using C# and the .NET framework. the .NET framework is supposed to handle memory management. It is notoriously bad at it. Most .NET apps are small stuff or things that don't run for hours on end with lots of resources opening and closing. Those work fine. It's just the rare app like RW that really has trouble.

There really may not be much the guys at LWD can do about the memory problems, except break down and go to 64 bit.
My colleagues and I built an industrial platform of 10+ applications, some of which ran 24/7 for months at a time processing updates at rates of millions of updates per day.. on the .NET 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x Frameworks. We had no issues with memory.
Silveras is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old July 13th, 2017, 12:28 PM
That's comparing apples and oranges. I suppose that only certain function calls or specific ways of handling stuff in a program could be prone to memory leaks.

I second 64 bit upgrade! Its SOTA (state of the art)

And.... I think memory leaks must really be fixed expecially with a software like realm works!

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 13th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
My colleagues and I built an industrial platform of 10+ applications, some of which ran 24/7 for months at a time processing updates at rates of millions of updates per day.. on the .NET 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x Frameworks. We had no issues with memory.
I have no idea what your apps did. I know what the stuff I wrote did. I know I could easily track the ongoing leak. I know reports of leaks causing crashes are common place in 32 bit .Net apps. I know that in discussion of this here LWD says they have no solution beyond switching to 64 bit which they are reluctant to do for reasons internal to RW.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote