Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

jfjohnny5

Old April 17th, 2017, 11:00 AM
I know the images can't be distributed, but as part of my own, local data, I would like to add the images for all the Monster Manual monsters. I love using the Encounter Builder. I hate having to click on each monster and manually add an image after the fact. How can I use the editor to add the images for all the monsters, by default?
jfjohnny5 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 17th, 2017, 12:38 PM
I use Realm Works for this. Create the monster once in realm works and from that point the image is there.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 17th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjohnny5 View Post
How can I use the editor to add the images for all the monsters, by default?
The editor has nothing to do with Images.

Images are stored in a .por file or .stock file. These files are then placed in the \herolab\data\5e folder. These are what are read/processed by the Encounter Builder. If you are in 5e HL you can simply open up one of the .stock/.por files in the \herolab\data\5e folder and add the image.

The "problem" is that if these are provided by LW then the next time you update 5e your changes will be lost as the .por/.stock file is over written.

The only way to save these changes would be to save them with a different file name. The downside is that the Encounter Builder would find a race twice then and display it twice. Once from your file (with an image) and once from LW's file (without an image).

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 17th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Note: adding the monsters into realm works with a hero lab snippet and including the picture in that snippet alleviates all of the issues mentioned above. The srd is also coming shortly to realm works.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old April 17th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Note: adding the monsters into realm works with a hero lab snippet and including the picture in that snippet alleviates all of the issues mentioned above. The srd is also coming shortly to realm works.
Not everyone has both apps though.

I use both (HL/RW) but have the same issue where I have my own custom .stock files with images - the duplicate names are annoying and it would be nice if there were some royalty free/ open licensed images to attach to the community .stock file but that would also increase the size of the community file if you shipped images with it.

This makes an impact when you use the Tactical Console from Hero Labs to assist with initiative order and running the game. The players get an image reinforcing who is on top of the init order.

Is Realm Works going to add a tactical console type feature in the future?
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 17th, 2017, 03:00 PM
We discussed adding pictures into the Community Pack in the early days but realistically there's just too much risk with the legalities associated to the pictures. We therefore won't be adding them ourselves.

Realm Works integrates directly into Hero Lab. You click a button from the monster within Realm Works and the monster gets added to the Hero Labs portfolio (pick qty) for use in the Tactical Console.

You can check out THIS VIDEO to see the process in action. I find it to be more efficient than picking the monsters from the encounter builder as the adventure text creates automatic links to the monsters that feature in the encounters I run.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 17th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Not everyone has both apps though.
Why I was trying to answer the question asked and not give an answer of "Buy RW" which is not a valid answer to the question.

Quote:
I use both (HL/RW) but have the same issue where I have my own custom .stock files with images - the duplicate names are annoying and it would be nice if there were some royalty free/ open licensed images to attach to the community .stock file but that would also increase the size of the community file if you shipped images with it.
That would be up to LW. The 5e Pack has no .stock files so the duplicates are coming from LW's files. The easiest way would be to just delete LW's .por/.stock files if you make your own stock files with images.

Just have to do that after each update but if you start your custom .stock files with a specific wording it would be easy. Plus 5e is not updated that often really.

On the other side as the Encounter Builder shows images in the list it would be easy to tell which monster to add to the encounter.

Quote:
Is Realm Works going to add a tactical console type feature in the future?
I highly doubt that. RW is a campaign tool not a encounter/combat tool.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old April 17th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You can check out THIS VIDEO to see the process in action.
You need to mention your other video where you show the images being added to the monsters in your mechanics section of RW as you create or edit them. That video explains the problems with the associated images better. (RW vs HL)

This still means that WHEN the SRD drops - if it includes the monster entries as HL portfolios in the mechanics section, we users will still have to add images to each entry anyway. SO, still have to modify a lot of entries.

But back to the original thread, the only way to do this in hero labs as a standalone is by creating a new .stock file as the community/LW 5e files are not likely to get a blessing to include images.
dungeonguru is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 17th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Quote:
if it includes the monster entries as HL portfolios in the mechanics section
It will. But yes they would need to be modified to include the pictures manually for the same legal reasons. As will the Realm Works articles themselves.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old October 11th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Hey, guys. Was just trying to deal with this issue so that I can have monster pics show up in my Tactical Console in Hero Lab.

For me, if the monster has a picture set up in Realm Works, it doesn't transfer over into Hero Lab when I send that monster to the portfolio via the button in RW.

Having pictures in the Tactical Console would help me dramatically when trying to find a specific monster during a fight, to apply damage, etc.
Conandy is offline   #10 Reply With Quote