Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

MadCartographer

Old October 4th, 2019, 02:32 AM
I want to create a new game system but the option is not available.
How can I fix this so I can do so?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png New Game System.png (322.3 KB, 34 views)
MadCartographer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old October 4th, 2019, 03:56 AM
You can use the Authoring Kit to create an entirely new game system. It would also be worth going through the Savage Worlds (part of the Auth Kit) walk-through so you understand how to use the Kit properly. Please note, that this is NOT easy to use/do. Try it on demo before any purchase.
If you want a new system that is similar to an existing one (your image appears to be from d20/3.5) you are better off using the editor to change that game system to create yours.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.

Last edited by Dami; May 2nd, 2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Updated info
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 4th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Huh. I had thought that one could still create a new system in the demo, just not save character profiles. I learned something new.
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 4th, 2019, 08:38 AM
See the first item in that list - Enable Data File Debugging - turn it on - then the rest of that list of options becomes available.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
MadCartographer

Old October 4th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
See the first item in that list - Enable Data File Debugging - turn it on - then the rest of that list of options becomes available.
Ok that did it! I did purchase the AK.
Thank you Mathias.

Lee
MadCartographer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 4th, 2019, 02:00 PM
As a note on the purchasing, I'm pretty sure you should be able to try out the authoring kit, and create a new game system while that's still in demo mode, but for actually developing a system, I know I'd find it pretty impractical to be in demo mode because you can't save characters - there are a lot of times when I'm debugging an issue where I will create a character that shows the bug, save the character, make my change, and then reload the data to see if that fixed it (reloading auto-loads any character who was already up). Having to add 3 or 4 things (or more) to the character before I can get back to seeing the bug would be a hassle, especially if the first attempt doesn't end up working and I kept having to try new things.
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
MadCartographer

Old October 4th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
As a note on the purchasing, I'm pretty sure you should be able to try out the authoring kit, and create a new game system while that's still in demo mode, but for actually developing a system, I know I'd find it pretty impractical to be in demo mode because you can't save characters - there are a lot of times when I'm debugging an issue where I will create a character that shows the bug, save the character, make my change, and then reload the data to see if that fixed it (reloading auto-loads any character who was already up). Having to add 3 or 4 things (or more) to the character before I can get back to seeing the bug would be a hassle, especially if the first attempt doesn't end up working and I kept having to try new things.
OK, I put in a request for all my licensees, I have 2 for HL.... I will wait to get that before I attempt to do any editing.
Thanks

Lee
MadCartographer is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 4th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Aren't you working on your existing system that's already licensed for HL? I don't understand why the authoring kit would require a license change - it should just need a reactivation of your existing licenses in order to use the new content on your existing devices.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 4th, 2019, 05:51 PM
As per Mathias's statement, you just be good to just download it on your computer, whether or not you're already licensed. Then, if you like it, you can buy it. Mild caveat to Mathias's comment, I barely ever used a saved character in developing Planet Mercenary, although I do have some saved files. A lot of it depends on how complicated the system is. Eventually, you will want to be able to actually use your system, so you'll want a license, but it's not an easy process, so you may want to demo it at first.

I don't remember what documentation there is when you load the Authoring Kit, but there's a wiki at http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....itle=Main_Page that includes creation of the Savage Worlds system at http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....s_Walk-Through. The documentation is not complete (and probably never will be), but there are a lot of examples out there, and Mathias is very helpful.
Duggan is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Huscurian

Old April 6th, 2020, 11:46 PM
There is an Unofficial Hero Lab Authoring Kit PDF that you can download to learn how to use.

Noctifer is the one who linked the PDF but the website domain is not active. I have the PDF with me.

Download at your pleasure.

Unofficial HL Authoring Kit Manual
Huscurian is offline   #10 Reply With Quote