Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Globetrotter

Old March 17th, 2018, 07:15 PM
When you have the Crane Wing feat, hero lab places a "Lost Bonus" check box on the in-play tab.

What is this for?

My guess is that since you receive a +4 dodge bonus to AC until the first time you are missed by an attack by 4 or less.

But, this check box doesn't seem to do anything. I don't even get the +4 dodge bonus to AC when I turn it on.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? If this check box just there to remind you that you no longer have to remember to add a +4 to your AC vs melee attacks?

It's very strange.
Globetrotter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old March 24th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Crane Wing is giving a bonus to your AC against melee attacks.
It doesn't affect your AC against ranged attacks or spells which target your range touch AC.

Since it's a bonus that applies to some things, but not to others, it's visible as something you can enable or disable, but it isn't applying to everything all of the time so it's not an adjustment to your AC (which is versus everything).

The check box for Lost Bonus, is more a reference for you.

At least that's how I read it.
Ualaa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Eilserves

Old March 25th, 2018, 04:40 AM
If you have "Crane Style" checked on the In-Play tab, you should see a situational bonus on your AC of +4 dodge vs. melee attacks" listed. Checking the "Lost Bonus" removes this situational entry.
Eilserves is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old March 25th, 2018, 11:44 AM
I missed the situational entry entirely...

We use HL for maintaining characters, but not as a live character sheet during play. It's neat that HL includes that, for if you're using it as a live character sheet.
Ualaa is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old March 26th, 2018, 06:59 PM
goodness... what is the point of having it only show up if you are hovering over the AC box?

It's a waste of space in the in-play tab. Is there a way to remove it? I am never going to check that box since this bonus comes and goes so often.

It's in the way.
Globetrotter is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 28th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
goodness... what is the point of having it only show up if you are hovering over the AC box?
This is how ALL situational bonuses get displayed in HL. Same for skills and saves.

Quote:
Is there a way to remove it?
I thought I was going to be able to say just install the community pack but turns out I do not have a adjustment to hide feat activation. Will have to add one as I have it for class abilities and equipment.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; March 28th, 2018 at 11:59 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old March 28th, 2018, 12:50 PM
I don’t think this is how all situational bonuses are displayed. It is my understanding that situational bonuses are never calculated, but instead an * is placed to alert you that a situational bonus may apply.

In crane wing, there is no * placed on the AC box and you have a special in-play check box that doesn’t do anything.

I would think if you are going to have a checkbox in the in-play tab, taking up valuable space, it should perform a task instead of a “reminder” that you have lost a bonus that is situational and not calculated.

It would make more sense to me to have that checkbox apply the situational bonus and then you can deselect it when it does not apply, or when the bonus is lost for the round.

I would still argue the point: where is the situational * for this bonus?
Globetrotter is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 28th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Quote:
I don’t think this is how all situational bonuses are displayed. It is my understanding that situational bonuses are never calculated, but instead an * is placed to alert you that a situational bonus may apply.

In crane wing, there is no * placed on the AC box and you have a special in-play check box that doesn’t do anything.
Nope this is how ALL situational bonuses are displayed in HL. Just because the UI is missing * does not change the basic idea how the situational bonus. The situational bonus is listed as "text" in an Array on the Pick.

Quote:
I would think if you are going to have a checkbox in the in-play tab, taking up valuable space, it should perform a task instead of a “reminder” that you have lost a bonus that is situational and not calculated.

It would make more sense to me to have that checkbox apply the situational bonus and then you can deselect it when it does not apply, or when the bonus is lost for the round.
Well this is an opinion on how you think it should work. Not saying its wrong nor can you say the opinion of how Crane Wing is programmed is really wrong. Its different I grant you. Just like how wand charges count UP instead of down. Charges counting up works and we all use it but many have the opinion that it should be the other way around.

To me I don't see any "perfect" answer as its such a strange bonus now that its hard to make something that everyone is going to be happy with.

You could use an adjustment here that you can turn on/off to achieve what you want. You could also make your own version of the Feat to work the way you wish. I will be adding an adjustment to hide feat activation in the next community pack update. At least you can make it go away easily then if you wish.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old March 31st, 2018, 08:54 AM
Right, and I don’t mean to be coming off like I “know” how is should or I am saying they are doing it wrong; it’s more about my confusion on how is it displayed.

What I mean about how I disagree about situational bonuses are displayed “missing the *” and having a checkbox. It’s a strange case.

I will create an adjustment to increase the AC, and if I can find a way to place it on the “in-play” tab, even better.

I hope you are able to code something in the future to remove “in-play” options that are not specifically class or race.

As I am typing this, I am thinking about the Cleave AC penalty box... which is situational and does something, lol. I suppose that is an example of my confusion.... less of a complaint.
Globetrotter is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 31st, 2018, 02:31 PM
Quote:
I will create an adjustment to increase the AC, and if I can find a way to place it on the “in-play” tab, even better.
The way I have done this for some adjustments is to make two parts. One is the adjustment and the other is a Ability (editor tab General->Ability). Then bootstrap the Ability to the Adjustment and let the Ability have all the script logic. Its then the Ability that gets displayed on the In-Play tab and allows easy access to turning on/off.

See THIS example for the Ranger Favored Enemy bonus adjustment.

On the good side Starfinder now has adjustments easily and nicely display on the In-Play tab by default. Really nice feature IMHO.

Quote:
I hope you are able to code something in the future to remove “in-play” options that are not specifically class or race.
Should not be an issue. I actually thought I had already done it but I guess not. Should be in the next update.

Quote:
As I am typing this, I am thinking about the Cleave AC penalty box... which is situational and does something, lol. I suppose that is an example of my confusion.... less of a complaint.
This I do agree on as some "features" are implemented differently. Often happens when you have many people doing development work. Which does happen for Pathfinder stuff because LW needs many scripters doing the work to keep up with Paizo release schedule.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote