Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

TemporalVengeance

Old September 9th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Q: If I migrate to Hero Lab Online, can I come back to Hero Lab Classic?
A: You won’t have to leave at all! Even if you migrate to Hero Lab Online, you’ll be able to continue using everything you have in Hero Lab Classic.
So, the FAQ says that you'll still be able to use HLC if you migrated to HLO, but my question is will future dataset purchases on systems available for both apps be cross-platform? For instance, if I migrate and then pick up a bestiary for Pathfinder will I have access to that bestiary in BOTH HLO and HLC or just HLO since I migrated?
TemporalVengeance is offline   #81 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 9th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalVengeance View Post
So, the FAQ says that you'll still be able to use HLC if you migrated to HLO, but my question is will future dataset purchases on systems available for both apps be cross-platform? For instance, if I migrate and then pick up a bestiary for Pathfinder will I have access to that bestiary in BOTH HLO and HLC or just HLO since I migrated?
From my understanding the underlying logic of HL is not changing in any major way at all. Only the UI portion of HLO and HLC are different.

In example a "Feat" once scripted does NOT care about UI components of HL so it would work in both HLO and HLC the exact same way. Same for equipment, spells, classes, etc....

Meaning you buy the dataset once and can use it in both HLO and HLC. Well as long as you are paying the subscription fee for HLO of course.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 9th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
So are you guys going a con every weekend or something?
I go to six cons a year and average one store or other location without wifi game night per week. At times I've also had weekly or biweekly campaigns in similar locations, though at the moment I am not in one.

I also occasionally work on my campaigns and characters at a family farm where there is effectively no internet or cellular service. (I'm more of a late person while they're early folks, so there's always time in the evenings when I'm wired and they're conked out. Still, getting away from the electronics while visiting family is nice. :)

Parody is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old September 9th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I go to six cons a year and average one store or other location without wifi game night per week. At times I've also had weekly or biweekly campaigns in similar locations, though at the moment I am not in one.

I also occasionally work on my campaigns and characters at a family farm where there is effectively no internet or cellular service. (I'm more of a late person while they're early folks, so there's always time in the evenings when I'm wired and they're conked out. Still, getting away from the electronics while visiting family is nice. :)
Do the six cons or stores all have spotty wifi or cell coverage? It just feels this is a non-issue overall. You know when you are going to a con, so using HLC is perfectly reasonable or printing a sheet before you go. Needing HeroLab online on a farm with no wifi is again a non-issue, it's not like your going to be joining a game in the middle of no-where

HLO in my opinion is good for 2 groups of people, those that play with a group of friends consistently not a random group of people (cons, PFS, pick up groups at stores), and those that want to use a form factor other than iPad or Windows device.

There may end up being a third group, those that prefer the UI, and stop using HLC whenever possible.
Toblakai is offline   #84 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old September 9th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalVengeance View Post
According to the FAQ, yes. Any systems that are currently supported in HLC will continue to be supported and expanded. So if a new bestiary comes out for Pathfinder, and you purchase that bestiary, you will have it available for both HLO and HLC.

New core systems, however, will only be available for HLO. This includes Starfinder.
EightBitz is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 9th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Do the six cons or stores all have spotty wifi or cell coverage? ...
For cons it's a coin flip depending on the convention and the location within the convention. Most stores around here do not offer WiFi; cell coverage is generally OK but not always.

As far as the farm goes: I have to update my Paperwork Society characters sometime. Why not when I know I have downtime? :)

The point is that I always assume network access won't be available at these places for safety. That lowers the utility of an online-only service. While desktop Hero Lab will work fine for now, we already know at least one system won't be available for it.

In any case, you asked a question. Don't dismiss the answers out of hand.

Parody is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old September 9th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
For cons it's a coin flip depending on the convention and the location within the convention. Most stores around here do not offer WiFi; cell coverage is generally OK but not always.

As far as the farm goes: I have to update my Paperwork Society characters sometime. Why not when I know I have downtime? :)

The point is that I always assume network access won't be available at these places for safety. That lowers the utility of an online-only service. While desktop Hero Lab will work fine for now, we already know at least one system won't be available for it.

In any case, you asked a question. Don't dismiss the answers out of hand.
Wasn't trying to dismiss, as I said I think the audience for HLO is different. If you play PFS, the biggest feature I am looking forward to in HLO, group management, is pointless.

So if you mostly play PFS (or whatever the 5E equivalent is) or at cons, HLO is probably not the tool for you, unless you want to play on a cellphone or android tablet. I play one con a year and wifi/cell coverage is fine, but its a small con.

I agree that HLC should support Starfinder, I'm still hoping they find the time to do that too. But priority wise, I would rather see party loot management and other party based features first.
Toblakai is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 9th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Do the six cons or stores all have spotty wifi or cell coverage? It just feels this is a non-issue overall. You know when you are going to a con, so using HLC is perfectly reasonable or printing a sheet before you go. Needing HeroLab online on a farm with no wifi is again a non-issue, it's not like your going to be joining a game in the middle of no-where

HLO in my opinion is good for 2 groups of people, those that play with a group of friends consistently not a random group of people (cons, PFS, pick up groups at stores), and those that want to use a form factor other than iPad or Windows device.

There may end up being a third group, those that prefer the UI, and stop using HLC whenever possible.
You dismissing the fact that games like Starfinder will only be available on HLO. People who play that will have zero choice on what they use.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old September 9th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
You dismissing the fact that games like Starfinder will only be available on HLO. People who play that will have zero choice on what they use.
Not totally true, they always have a choice of paper or the other crappy HL clone. But I already said I hope they do a HLC version.
Toblakai is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old September 9th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
In a good year I get to a couple of regional cons as well as GenCon plus several gaming nights at game shops. Since those involve a lot of travel and expense having them ruined by something like my character sheet would suck.
I haven't been to a Con for quite a number of years... even so, surely you can still use a paper character sheet, or is an online/digital version the only way to allowed? Or maybe there's a new con-effect where bad wifi now damages pre-printed characters!

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #90 Reply With Quote