Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nargath

Old August 10th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Hi guys, back again with another bunch of custom content questions!

This time I'm trying to get the Drawback and Occupation "rules" from Tome of Secrets by Adamant Entertainment. Basically they are both extra options that you can take at character creation that give you certain bonuses/penalties.
I figured that I would create them in the Traits section, and for the Occupation "trait", I'd also include the coding from the Additional Traits feat, to give me 4 traits total (2 normal traits, an Occupation, and a Drawback)

I'll start with occupations. These are a description, if you will, of your life before you started adventuring. You choose an occupation, and it gives you certain skill benefits, and may give you a bonus flavourful feat.

In this instance, I'm trying to stat up the Gladiator occupation. I've taken a screenshot of it.
Basically, it gives me 2 skills that are now class skills, and if either of those skills are ALREADY class skills, then it gives me a +1 competence bonus in that skill. And it gives me a list of skills to choose from (Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Perception, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive)
Also, it gives you a choice of either Weapon Focus or Toughness.

Is there a way of having this stuff as a dropdown box or something like that? So it gives me 2 list to choose the two skills, and a 3rd list for the feat, and auto applies the conditions above?
Or am I better off just coding the trait as if I've already made my choices and customise it every time I put it on a new character?

With the drawbacks, they usually give you some sort of in-game defect penalty, and give you 4 extra skill points to spend. This one is Ineffectual Racial Trait.
Now, I know cancelling out a racial trait probably won't work (in this case, I'm using a custom race, so I'll just delete one trait and not code the Drawback to do anything for that).
But what I want to be able to code in is the 4 extra skill points. They aren't tied to anything or multiplied. Just 4 stand alone skill points to be used at character creation.

Thanks in advance guys, and putting up with more inane questions. I know that doing this stuff manually is probably easier, but I figure I may as well ask the question!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gladiator Occupation.jpg (66.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Nargath; August 10th, 2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added source title for the rules
Nargath is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Angela2013

Old August 10th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I have that book from which occupations come from on PDF but I can't remember the name.

Some days I don't know why I bother to chew through the restraints.
Angela2013 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nargath

Old August 10th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2013 View Post
I have that book from which occupations come from on PDF but I can't remember the name.
Yeah, it's Tome of Secrets.
I've updated my OP. Nice catch!
Nargath is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 10th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Sounds like a configurable may be the way to go here - that way, you can create a new table for your occupations, another table for the drawbacks, and use the feat tables on that for the bonus feat selections that the occupations add.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old August 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I hope you post this. I would like to add it.
Dwayne is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nargath

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Sounds like a configurable may be the way to go here - that way, you can create a new table for your occupations, another table for the drawbacks, and use the feat tables on that for the bonus feat selections that the occupations add.
Unfortunately, I'm a complete HL n00b, and have no idea what a configurable is
Is there an example that I can base any work off of?
Nargath is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 10th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Look at the Demonic Obedience feat for an example of working with configurables. They have a tab in the editor as well.
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Or the ghost template, or ranger traps from Ultimate Combat.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
Nargath

Old August 11th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Ah, cool!

So it's a option that will open up another tab on the "character sheet". Nice! That will work perfectly!
I've jumped in and had a look at the ogrekin ability. So you create the configurable, then the actual little abilities, you create in the R Cust Special tab of the Editor, and use a tag to link it with the configurable?
Awesome! I definitely should be able to build the entire Occupaton and Drawback using this!

Another 2 questions.
In the individual R Cust Special "ability", you said I could use the feat table to be able to choose the feat. How do I make the feats be available to select? I've found the Select From field, but Feats aren't an option in it.

And is there a way of granting 4 skill points for the drawback?
Nargath is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargath View Post
In the individual R Cust Special "ability", you said I could use the feat table to be able to choose the feat. How do I make the feats be available to select? I've found the Select From field, but Feats aren't an option in it.
Any abilities you can think of that do something similar - grant a feat choice when you select that ability - any Rogue Talents, perhaps?

How does that add +1 feats available to the other table?

How do you change that one's script so that instead of the fields related to classes, it's using the corresponding field names on configurables?
Mathias is online now   #10 Reply With Quote