Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

DarkHost

Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM
When I attempt to download my Dark Age AB data file from the "View Updates" feature I get the following error message (see http://home.earthlink.net/~darkhost1...AB_problem.htm for screen capture of error message).

I have checked and I have plenty of space (41 MB) on my hard drive and the download directory is not write-protected (I can successfully download other AB data files). I have verified that the file size I put into the "Enter Release Details for Update" is larger (13 KB) than the actual file size (11 KB).

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
DarkHost is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
That error will only occur when there is an error trying to write the data that has been downloaded. In addition to the obvious disk full and write-protection conditions, this can happen when the size reported by the internet retrieval does not match the actual number of bytes being written. So if the retrieved size from the download reports 20,000 bytes and only 10,000 bytes are retrieved, the attempt to write 20,000 bytes will fail, and the error will be reported.

This situation can arise if you are having trouble successfully downloading between your computer and the hosting site. Instead of trying to do the integrated download/import process, try using the "Go To File" option and download the file directly to your computer. Make sure that the resulting file exactly matches the file you put up on the hosting site.

Also, depending on how you've got your browser caching setup, an erroneous download could have occurred and that bogus file is now always being retrieved from your cache. So try clearing your browser cache and downloading again. AB tries to make sure this occurs, but not all browsers and/or security software properly listen to AB's requests.

Hope this helps,
Rob

At 07:54 AM 4/23/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
When I attempt to download my Dark Age AB data file from the "View Updates" feature I get the following error message (see http://home.earthlink.net/~darkhost1/AB_problem/AB_problem.htm for screen capture of error message).

I have checked and I have plenty of space (41 MB) on my hard drive and the download directory is not write-protected (I can successfully download other AB data files). I have verified that the file size I put into the "Enter Release Details for Update" is larger (13 KB) than the actual file size (11 KB).

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DarkHost

Old May 1st, 2006, 05:16 AM
Using the "Go To File" option I can download the file (from http://www.datafilesrus.com/user/dat...asp?context=a3) and install the game system.

However, I still cannot get the "Download" option to work. On Data Files R Us the file shows up as being 10976 bytes in size. I have tried both 10 KB and 11 KB in the Update Release details -- to no avail.

So now what?

-Don
DarkHost is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DarkHost

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:57 AM
Ok. I am a complete moron.

Turns out that I had the file link pointing the Data Files R Us download page as opposed to the DarkAge.ab file itself.
DarkHost is offline   #4 Reply With Quote