Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

B57123m

Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
Hello Lone Wolf forums, I have lingered for awhile now and am happily awaiting Realm Works release.

My question is about how easy it is to input data about non-unique characters or creatures.

For example, say I have a guard from Generictown and wanted to create a page for him. From what I have read I understand that information about common units would go in the World Almanac.

Information:
Name: Generictown Guard.
Other Info: All Generictown Guards loves waffles covered in jam.

Would one simply make a page for a Generictown Guard just like a unique character?

I did not get into the early release Kickstarter and have yet to work with the program so maybe it is more clear once the tools are in my hands.

Another example would be for a creature.

Say I have a lion creature that loves the taste of Genericown folk, would that also be easily put in to the program just as a common character or is there some sort of bestiary section.

On a side note, I don't really plan on using Realm Works for GMing at all, my goal is to use it for World Building so that is where the basis of my question lies.

Thanks, Brad.
B57123m is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old January 4th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I would make the Generictown Guard under the Group: Military category. I'm not entirely sure I follow you on the "lion creature" thing. If it is a specific lion-creature that happens to like chowing down on Generictown citizens, I'd give it its own topic. I'd then make sure I had the generic lion-creature either in the mechanics reference, or give them their own Group: Other topic, which I'd add as a container to the Generictown Lion-creature.
Chemlak is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM
You could choose to make an entry for "Generictown Guard" in the "Individual" category, and associate that with an organization entry for "Generictown Watch" or similar (which is part of what Chemlak is suggesting).

You would not have to, unless you wanted encounters or places where "Generictown Guard" entries are found to automatically link to the Individual entry for them. If they are not important enough for that, there's no reason to add an Individual entry for them. That's a judgment call based on the specific needs of your adventure or campaign.

Creating an entry for what I call "stock characters" (such as random street thieves, generic city guards, etc.) is just as easy as entering data for a specific individual; easier, in that you probably will not bother with adding things that are specific to one individual.

As for the creatures, the base product does not have a "Bestiary" per se, but you can define an article type to serve as the basis for building one. It is likely that publishers will be providing purchasable data packages with Bestiaries (or equivalent) among them. I am personally waiting to see what those turn out to be prior to entering creatures of my own, so I can use the format of the rules set I play with.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Randall Jhen

Old February 7th, 2014, 07:02 AM
For my Numenera realm, I've elected to put those sorts of NPCs in Mechanics Reference, under "Danger." Same with monsters and traps and such.
Randall Jhen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote