Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Chadster

Old June 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hello all.

I have a question that I’m hoping someone here will understand and be able to help.

My wife and I used to play 2’nd edition AD&D and now I’ve been wanting to update her character to Pathfinder.

The problem I having is she’s a ‘multiclass’ Rogue/Wizard (level 12/11). Back in those days we used to half the experience between classes. Now it appears to be much different from what I’m used to and I can’t figure out how to add it to Hero Lab. If I add the 12 levels for rogue, and 11 levels for Wizard I’m of course ending up with a 23’rd level character.

Now I guess that’s not bad, but it’s not really what I’d like to have. Yes I want her to have her same spells/rogue skills, but not at the level 23. Is there a way I can input the levels (so I get her spells, rogue talents, etc.) without ending up with 200+ skill points, and just insane stats?

I pray this makes since and someone will get what I’m trying to do. She’s basically a 12’th level character, not a 23’rd level character.

Any help or advice is welcome and wanted!

Thanks in advance,

Chad
Chadster is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I suggest you ask this question over at the forums at paizo's website; http://paizo.com/paizo. I'm afraid this question is more about the design philosophy of converting 2ed characters to 3ed than it is about the technical aspects of Hero Lab (which is what our forums are for).

Basically, there is no direct analog in 3ed/Pathfinder for the multiclassing mechanisms that existed in 2ed - I think you're probably better off re-creating the character - deciding how the same concept fits the current rule system, than trying to make a perfect translation. (Take a look at the Arcane Trickster prestige class - that may be appropriate to the character concept).
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TBKenie

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you are converting a 2E D&D character into a 3.5E (or 3.75E) system. Easiest way is to rebuild (not convert) the character using Pathfinder rules (3.75E) to get the same general spirit of the original character (12th character, e.g., splash 2 levels of rogue with 10 levels of wizard or a 6/6 split for a nerfed wizard/rogue combo). A harder way would be to make a new Rogue/Wizard class (Arcane Trickster prestige class might work). Another way in Hero Lab would be to use the "Adjust" tab to tweak the various skills, skill points, stats and so on. However, this last method means it will not be easily reproducible with another character and probably also means game balance goes out the window since there goings to be dozens of permanent/temporary adjustments which will not show up on the paper character sheet.

I vaguely remember when 3E came out there were some documents on converting 2E into 3E, or maybe I'm thinking of Paizo's 3.5E to 3.75E conversion document which isn't such a great change compared to the huge 2E to 3E change (which is basically a new D&D game system).
TBKenie is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
modus0

Old June 10th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKenie View Post
I vaguely remember when 3E came out there were some documents on converting 2E into 3E...
There was a 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition conversion document put out by WotC, but it's somewhat loose with conversions.

For the OP, the steps for converting a multiclass character to the D20 rules (3rd Edition, 3.5, and Pathfinder are all D20 systems), the steps are thus:

1: Take the highest level of all the classes. In this case, the 12 Rogue levels.
2: Divide the levels in all other classes by 3 and round down, with a minimum result of 1. For this, 11 Wizard levels would be 3 (rounded down).
3: Add the numbers from Steps 1 and 2 together to get the character's new total level. 15 for the character in question.
4: Divide the total character level between the classes as desired.

However, as I said, it is a very loose conversion system and you're probably better off keeping only the concept of the character and do new stats for the Pathfinder game using some combination of Rogue/Wizard levels.

Though I feel a fair bit of warning is necessary, due to the introduction of "caster level" in D20, multiclassed spellcasters take a major hit to effectiveness of spells, potentially to the point of making offensive spells useless.
modus0 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Virtue

Old June 10th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I think u will need to rebuild her as a 2nd rogue and 10 wizard
Virtue is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
blzbob
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
You can find the 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition conversion guide here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a.

Depending on what you do, you may have to convert 3rd Edition to 3.5 and you can find that here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

You will then need to convert the character to Pathfinder and you can find that here: http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pat.../v5748btpy89m6

The good news is that once you've converted the character to 3rd edition, the rest is very simple and should be quick.

You can PM and I can help guide you through it if you would like.
blzbob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote