Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

evildmguy

Old April 10th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
NO. I'm as frustrated as anyone and LWD's inability to integrate with PAizo when others have is extremely aggravating but there are too many people on both sides who, NDA's or no NDA's would gossip if LWD was telling lies, for LWD to ever risk such a thing.
I agree. I may be frustrated and do wonder at what they can't share with us due to NDAs but I'm hopeful that LWD is going to swing it around when they can.

If I didn't make it clear with my previous post, I still use RW and think it is the best campaign tool out there. I still recommend it to people when asked. My frustration has been lack of communication. There is a big difference between not saying anything and saying, "We can't say anything about X but here is what we can share about our own stuff."
evildmguy is offline   #371 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old April 10th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Imho RW is great for homemade content! So hopefully the tool gets back on track soon. Good luck and success.

Feel sorry for the ppl who were let go due to restructures.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #372 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 11th, 2018, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildmguy View Post
What really made me use RW less is the Player Versions. I know it would be a LOT more work to make a real time publish/subscribe model such that when I click reveal, it would show up a second later for my players. (I get it would be longer if over the internet; I was thinking local web hosting for that speed.) That's what I was wanting and didn't realize it until it didn't happen. Even if it was easy to sync up while within a Realm and do a push notification to any Player versions out there would be nice.
I also thought the Player Version would do that so I was disappointed to discover that wasn't the case. If I had known I doubt I would have bought it for my players since they rarely if ever look at things between sessions. Even with that disappointment (and the calendars ;-) I do find it a great tool for me. I consider myself a module queen so I take the time to enter the one we going through. I like that I not only can see connections but the links are invaluable. I can also make notes of rules and link to it. All of that is golden for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
...the same to be used mechanism is already working with Fantasy Grounds as far as I can tell. So why the heck should it work for one company but not the other.
I have wondered about that also but knowing how tight-lipped companies can be I figured I would just have to hang in there.

Funding a Kickstarter is always a risk and a possible disappointment. At least Rob didn't take our Kickstarter money and run. That actually happened on one that I supported. I look at it like the stock market, you invest to help the company and hope for a return. Sometimes the return is really good, sometimes you'll break even, and sometimes you loose your shirt. We didn't loose our shirt so at the very least those of us who invested broke even. We got a tool that I think is doing more than I was able to do without it. I don't doubt that we will get all of the extra items promised for our support. I hope the full dream we helped fund will eventually happen but for now I'll take the win we have and enjoy it.
ruhar is offline   #373 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old April 17th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Well, its been close to a year since I used RW. I come back every three or more months to see if there is something new like a calendar or CM, and nothing ever changes. It came as little surprise when I saw all their focus jump to the newest "shiny" project which was HLO. As a HL Authoring kit owner, I am not shocked in the least to see them jump to something new without finishing the job.

It also doens't surprise me when I see a LWD representative on these forums waste no time in suggesting/encouraging rightfully upset customers to give up on the products. I have seen it for HL and RW repeatedly every time I come back to check on progress. That is the wholly wrong mindset for customer service and business, period. Then I usually find other posts in close proximity talking about staffing problems. It doesn't take much to think those two are related.
Goreshade is offline   #374 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 17th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreshade View Post
Then I usually find other posts in close proximity talking about staffing problems. It doesn't take much to think those two are related.
I don't often see posts about staffing problems. Maybe they are all your posts?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #375 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 17th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I don't often see posts about staffing problems. Maybe they are all your posts?
The problem is that they are in a good area to find developers, but a really bad area for a small company to afford said developers. I suspect that is why there last job opening was for telecommuting. The RW kickstarter wouldnt even pay for 1 dev for a year in the bay area.
Toblakai is offline   #376 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 17th, 2018, 06:47 PM
They've posted several jobs over the last couple of years that all clearly stated the job didn't have to be done locally. That makes sense. GitHub integrates directly into Visual Studio now so for a software developer it is really pretty immaterial if the rest of the team is in the next cubicle or another state.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #377 Reply With Quote
jfos

Old April 19th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
Imho RW is great for homemade content! So hopefully the tool gets back on track soon. Good luck and success.

Feel sorry for the ppl who were let go due to restructures.
Ok, I agree.

I've given up on the CM (it's been THREE years now... 3...), so much so, I've turned to VTTs to share everything but plot webs BECAUSE there is ZERO tooling for VTT imports of my homebrew stuff to something like Fantasy Grounds. Id love to create and then export/import to a VTT and no the RW export isn't compatible w/ FG or D20 or any other VTT Ive found, I can however use a COMMUNITY provided tool to create HTML, it works nice... for HTML... Still its just easier to create in the VTT format so I can have a easily shared and track plot webs on a peice of paper cause its just for me for the most part... rather than create in RW, make my own import tooling from the xml RW exports and THEN do the VTT sharing via modules and rule sets and utilizing OSRIC/OGL and SRD content, theres no licensing issues.

I get spending development dollars on what sells, its a business after all and that seems to be Hero Lab and not RW so much; as is evidenced. I definitely feel I got my 40 bucks out of RW and I am not trying to knock anyone, just explaining where I and so many seem to be...

If you guys ever get a decent import tool for FG, hit me up.

L8r
jfos is offline   #378 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old April 19th, 2018, 09:31 AM
@jfos,

You looking for something that will take XML output from RM and create a module you can use in FG?

Sounds like a great project, please contact me.

Dave

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #379 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old April 27th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
To be perfectly honest:
My opinion is that this Paizo issue is on Paizo side and they have to work around it is just an outright lie. I honestly doubted that since the first announcement because the same to be used mechanism is already working with Fantasy Grounds as far as I can tell. So why the heck should it work for one company but not the other.

LWD just does not do anything anymore for RW as far as I can tell. No updates nothing at all.
I've given up on RW now. I've used it for some time to enter data from the Paizo AP I was running for my players however I've stopped doing so. I simply do not have the time to actually do that myself so I would gladly pay if it was done from someone else and ready to go. But this constant delay because of, whatever reason the might have come up in the past or may come up in the future: I simply do no longer care I made up my mind that they are just bull shit.
+1 to this

There are competing products that are now providing Paizo content and one of them in particular, has a staggering amount of content. As such, I have given up on RW and have now invested heavily in the competing product. I love Hero Labs and will continue to invest in it but Realm Works is now dead to me.
Dhrakken is offline   #380 Reply With Quote