Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Alright, in another thread I mentioned that I was making a feat called Education that gives you a +2 to 2 chosen Knowledge skills. Since there is no way to have 2 selections on one feat, I have chosen to make several feats that will give you a +2 on one skill and let you choose the second skill to get the bonus.

In that thread I got distracted and forgot about the problem while getting others answered by the ever helpful mghel. I don't want to revive that thread, so I'll just bring it back up here. The extent that I have for scripts is:

~ Add 2 to our chosen skill
field[fChosen].chosen.field[Bonus].value += 2

~ Add 2 to the base skill
hero.childfound[kKnowHist].field[Bonus].value = hero.childfound[kKnowHist].field[Bonus].value + 2

~ Set our 'short name'
if (field[fChosen].ischosen <> 0) then
field[fShortName].text = "Education - History and " & field[fChosen].chosen.field[name].text
endif

When I select a skill, I get an error "Attempt to assign field value with no pick context".
There is no error when I compile the script in the editor, but the chosen skill is not gaining any bonus either.
Lawful_g is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Also in the old thread, I mentioned that the Wu Jen class I made has been made impossible to use because the class specials window has shoved the buttons to choose spells to memorize and/or add to the spellbook off the bottom of the tab, where they are unclickable. There are a lot of class specials, but still, doesn't seem like that should be right.

Is this an error? How should I proceed?
Lawful_g is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
And finally there is the Academic priest feat I am adding. This feat allows clerics who take it to use Intelligence to determine their maximum spell level, and bonus spells.

HOWEVER, the spell save DCs remain based on wisdom. Is this possible to do with a feat? I noticed that the recently added Class variants have an option for overriding the Spell attribute and Max Spell level with a new attribute, so it might be possible.

An alternate way could be to make a class variant that does that, then bootstrap it to the feat. But if this is done, then the portion of the Cleric tab where it says "Spell Save DC: XX + spell level" would need to be corrected to go back to Wisdom. I can't seem to right click on it to check out fields and tags and whatnot, so I don't know how to experiment with it.
Lawful_g is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Ok seriously. Last one of the night, I promise. I need to get to sleep after all... Curse you Hero Lab, for being the obsession that robs me of sleep! (Shakes fist at laptop)

Anyway. How do you count the number of times a specific feat has been taken?

#hasfeat[fWhatever] appears to only be able to tell whether the feat is present (1) or absent (0).
Lawful_g is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
Also in the old thread, I mentioned that the Wu Jen class I made has been made impossible to use because the class specials window has shoved the buttons to choose spells to memorize and/or add to the spellbook off the bottom of the tab, where they are unclickable. There are a lot of class specials, but still, doesn't seem like that should be right.

Is this an error? How should I proceed?
This occurs on all custom spellcasting classes with class specials. Fixing it is on the to-do list (the fix will be to add the oval "I" information button that's used on the SRD spellcasting classes to all custom classes).
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Ok seriously. Last one of the night, I promise. I need to get to sleep after all... Curse you Hero Lab, for being the obsession that robs me of sleep! (Shakes fist at laptop)

Anyway. How do you count the number of times a specific feat has been taken?

#hasfeat[fWhatever] appears to only be able to tell whether the feat is present (1) or absent (0).
#hasfeat[XXX] is a macro substitution for:

hero.tagis[HasFeat.XXX]

so, hero.tagcount[HasFeat.XXX] will get you the count of a feat.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Quote:
And finally there is the Academic priest feat I am adding. This feat allows clerics who take it to use Intelligence to determine their maximum spell level, and bonus spells.
My apologies, but I won't have time to research this until I'm back from Gen Con. Please bump this thread if I don't get back to it
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Alright, in another thread I mentioned that I was making a feat called Education that gives you a +2 to 2 chosen Knowledge skills. Since there is no way to have 2 selections on one feat, I have chosen to make several feats that will give you a +2 on one skill and let you choose the second skill to get the bonus.

In that thread I got distracted and forgot about the problem while getting others answered by the ever helpful mghel. I don't want to revive that thread, so I'll just bring it back up here. The extent that I have for scripts is:

~ Add 2 to our chosen skill
field[fChosen].chosen.field[Bonus].value += 2

~ Add 2 to the base skill
hero.childfound[kKnowHist].field[Bonus].value = hero.childfound[kKnowHist].field[Bonus].value + 2

~ Set our 'short name'
if (field[fChosen].ischosen <> 0) then
field[fShortName].text = "Education - History and " & field[fChosen].chosen.field[name].text
endif

When I select a skill, I get an error "Attempt to assign field value with no pick context".
There is no error when I compile the script in the editor, but the chosen skill is not gaining any bonus either.
Try putting your "~Add 2 to our chosen skill" section inside the same if statement that the shortname modification is in. If you get the error as soon as you add the feat, and not just once you select a skill, it's because the script runs as soon as the feat is added, and at that point, the user hasn't been given the chance to choose something for fChosen.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old August 25th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgehl View Post
Try putting your "~Add 2 to our chosen skill" section inside the same if statement that the shortname modification is in. If you get the error as soon as you add the feat, and not just once you select a skill, it's because the script runs as soon as the feat is added, and at that point, the user hasn't been given the chance to choose something for fChosen.
That didn't work either. I am really stumped on this one it seems. How does one add a bonus to a skill that they select?

Also, this is a bump for the Academic Priest feat, whenever you finish with your pathfinder entry duties, mghel.
Lawful_g is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old September 6th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgehl View Post
My apologies, but I won't have time to research this until I'm back from Gen Con. Please bump this thread if I don't get back to it
Nevermind the Academic Priest feat I mentioned, I stumbled across the key while looking for another answer and have got it working now. Keep me posted on these other issues, especially that damnable education feat snafu.

Thanks.
Lawful_g is offline   #10 Reply With Quote