Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Starfinder

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 1st, 2018, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
I think the GM was confused as the normal Azimuth Artillery Laser does 1d10 dmg, but the statblock included a +1, however I believe that was a bonus from the skills of the Vesk using it. Something to do with his Class Graft
It comes from the Vesk being a CR 1 monster. Monsters use different rules from PCs and the CR is always added to the damage for NPCs. A CR 1 gang member has a laser pistol that does 1d6+1 damage. When the PC picks it up at level 1 the weapon does 1d6 damage only because PCs don't get to add level damage until 3rd level. NPCs add CR always.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 1st, 2018, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine690 View Post
Off topic a little, did the bosses in the first adventure up to the asteriod with the last boss and other boss fights up till then seem a little more difficult for characters of the level the module suggested the characters be at? We only had 3 players granted but even so fights seemed to be a bit more rough and even with a 4th person we didn't feel it would have made a lot of difference. Especially for that last fight.
More difficult than Pathfinder encounters? The answer is 100% yes Starfinder is a different system and plays much different. NPCs have much higher to hit bonuses and will hit and cause damage constantly to PCs. This is part of the new math of the game and is expected. Starfinder PCs will take way more damage and will often be knocked down to zero HP. The big difference is that its harder to die in Starfinder but much easier to be knocked down.

This is exactly in line with what others have found and what the math is suppose to do in Starfinder. The other thing is that until level 3 PCs often feel very week compared to Pathfinder characters. PCs put out very little damage as its usually 1d6 with no bonuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine690 View Post
Especially for that last fight.
The space leach monster at the end of AP1 is way too strong. The monster if played even remotely correctly with its abilities will TPK most groups. This is an issue caused with putting together the final rules of the game and the adventure at the same time. Just like how you find a fusion on the asteroid which by the final game rules the PCs can't use. Yet its expected to be used to defeat the undead.

It seems to smooth out more in the next chapters and in some cases goes back to being TOO easy in later chapters. I have had to start increasing encounters just like I use to do in Pathfinder. Hopefully they do better jobs with the future adventures.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
jlong05
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old May 1st, 2018, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
It comes from the Vesk being a CR 1 monster. Monsters use different rules from PCs and the CR is always added to the damage for NPCs. A CR 1 gang member has a laser pistol that does 1d6+1 damage. When the PC picks it up at level 1 the weapon does 1d6 damage only because PCs don't get to add level damage until 3rd level. NPCs add CR always.
That is basically what I was saying. I guess I should have spelled it out further that NPCs get to add their CR which explains these 'magic' bonuses.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
vardeman

Old May 1st, 2018, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
That is basically what I was saying. I guess I should have spelled it out further that NPCs get to add their CR which explains these 'magic' bonuses.
But the gangers in the AP are only CR 1/2...
vardeman is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 1st, 2018, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardeman View Post
But the gangers in the AP are only CR 1/2...
The Named NPCs which the vesk is and linked above in Toblakai post are CR 1. You have a human female and a male vesk in the Fusion Queen. These are both CR 1 opponents.

Getting into the details the CR 1/2 gang members should NOT get a +1 bonus on damage because they are CR 1/2. At least according to the Alien Archive which did not exist yet when Incident at Absalom Station was made. Which leaves into some of the confusion a few rules are slightly off. Again it happens when the rules are not final and the adventure is being written at the same time.

Point is you make magic weapons using "fusions" and no such +1 fusion exists. If we had a *cough* editor *cough* we could actually create such a thing. On the other side as a DM I would not add one as it would throw off the game math too much. Few things are meant to stack in Starfinder which is so far been really nice.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #15 Reply With Quote