Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mmurphy

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:56 PM
I know there is no 'right way' to GM but I am entering information into Realm Works and this brings up a question that I never really thought about until LoneWolf put out videos on how to use Realm Works.

What is your style of GM'ing?

For example, when I GM, I explain the surroundings, what (if anything) is going on politically, what the weather is like, and just generally paint the scene. I have no plans for the characters, no 'places' for them to go, nor do I have anything 'pre-determined' for them to do. I let them decide where to go and what to do. If one of the characters says "I heard a rumor of an abandoned castle north of here", I put an abandoned castle north(ish) of were they are, they may not find it, it may not have anything in it, or it might have allot in it, they don't know until (if) they find it.

What really made me think of this was the Storyboard section. I was trying to decide if there was any way I could use this to aid me. The only answer I have is as a history plot. As any 'notable' event happens, I plot it on the storyboard section. In this, I will not forget they visited 'this town or that person'. When the PC's interact with NPC's, I try to quickly add the NPC to the database (at least a basic description) however, in my fantasy setting the characters will rarely re-visit the same people so I don't worry about this too much.

In the end, I am adding 'everything' that could possibly exist into Realm Works just in case I ever need it. I leave specific details vague so I can use it again if I want to. Allot of the 'adventures' the PC's have gone on simple stem from conversations they have with NPC's--however until they are having the conversation (which I make up on the spot) I don't know what the NPC's will do or say (as I base the conversation on what the PC's are doing or saying).

In 1 example, three entire role-playing sessions were taken up with a chase into the outlining woods/forest because one of the PC's thought they could 'rob' a general store instead of paying the merchant, the character was too poor to pay and needed the items. I don't think you can 'plan' that.
Mmurphy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote