Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 31st, 2017, 10:24 AM
We just tried the new Wearing the Cape playtest, and Fate does not seem like a good fit for super heroes...

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is online now   #11 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old January 31st, 2017, 10:25 AM
And I'm one of the OG's on the Hero system, so I know from superhero RPG's...

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is online now   #12 Reply With Quote
Cobalt-Blue

Old January 31st, 2017, 10:32 AM
If it's superhero game, I've played it, all the way back to Champions 1st Edition and Villains and Vigilantes. I have some favorites, and some not-so-favorites. Some are overly complicated, others are overly simplified. Probably among the best are Mutants and Master Minds, Hero System, and my personal favorite was the D20 version of Silver Age Sentinels. But since I'm looking for something with a computer based character generator, and leaves pretty much Hero, M&M, SW, and 4th Edition GURPS Supers (which is just a disaster and unintelligibe--and that's coming from a huge fan of 3rd edition.)
Cobalt-Blue is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old January 31st, 2017, 02:01 PM
Well, its not a problem with HL, so its not entirely relevant here, but--

One of the features that provides an interesting dynamic in Savage Worlds is the exploding dice. Its also potentially a problematic one, but because most of the time you're only rolling two dice, the likelyhood of getting a massive open-ended roll is low.

And then there's Supers. Where you can, without too much difficulty, be rolling six dice for damage at one time. I can see where this could produce some relatively low incidence (but still too common) results where people with avowedly enough Toughness find they really don't--but if they improve it (and there's only so much room to do so) they suffer from having such a high value normal opponents can't touch them. So GMs discourage it. And then the players end up feeling much too brittle.
Paragon is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old January 31st, 2017, 02:06 PM
Wow. It's too bad you live in Kentucky. We're very similar. More or less the same here. I still have my first edition Champions book.
I like Hero for character generation, but it's a total nightmare for combat. Glaciers move faster (but you gotta love that speed table...).
For combat, Savage Worlds rules.
GURPS was my favorite system for years, but it never worked for superheroes. However, once I played Savage Worlds it's hard for me to play GURPS any more for anything.
I've never done M&M, and Silver Age Sentinels turned me off with the three stat system.

_
_
CapedCrusader is online now   #15 Reply With Quote
Cobalt-Blue

Old January 31st, 2017, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Well, its not a problem with HL, so its not entirely relevant here, but--

One of the features that provides an interesting dynamic in Savage Worlds is the exploding dice. Its also potentially a problematic one, but because most of the time you're only rolling two dice, the likelyhood of getting a massive open-ended roll is low.

And then there's Supers. Where you can, without too much difficulty, be rolling six dice for damage at one time. I can see where this could produce some relatively low incidence (but still too common) results where people with avowedly enough Toughness find they really don't--but if they improve it (and there's only so much room to do so) they suffer from having such a high value normal opponents can't touch them. So GMs discourage it. And then the players end up feeling much too brittle.

I can see where that will be a problem. I tend to play out my plot-lines with my wife using a game system. I can see her complaining about a character she developed in M&M suddenly being "brittle". The problem I'm having is creating characters that are "broad in power" instead of deep. I'm trying to create an edge that can be purchased to grant extra Super Power points. Haven't quite got the hang of the editor yet. Had to uninstall HL and reinstall it once already because I screwed up the generator. (Somehow I ended up with starting 4 color heroes with 168 points. I'm still not sure how that happened.) The more I kept trying to fix it, the more the starting points climbed.
Cobalt-Blue is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Cobalt-Blue

Old January 31st, 2017, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
Wow. It's too bad you live in Kentucky. We're very similar. More or less the same here. I still have my first edition Champions book.
I like Hero for character generation, but it's a total nightmare for combat. Glaciers move faster (but you gotta love that speed table...).
For combat, Savage Worlds rules.
GURPS was my favorite system for years, but it never worked for superheroes. However, once I played Savage Worlds it's hard for me to play GURPS any more for anything.
I've never done M&M, and Silver Age Sentinels turned me off with the three stat system.
I'm not sure where you live. I didn't care for the SAS Tri-stat system, but I LOVED the D20 version of it. I tried running a Tri-Stat BESM game that we finally had to abandon because the players figured out how to break the system. But there were some good story-telling times in that one--including the roving gangs of boy-bands having dance offs in weird twist on the West-Side Story plot.

What's happening is that I'm doing a reboot on several of my novel universes and doing my own version of Amalgam to clean up several plot lines and start an entirely new storyline with some old fan-favorites. If this works out the way I'm hoping it will, I may approach Pinnacle about doing a source-book for the setting.
Cobalt-Blue is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old January 31st, 2017, 03:31 PM
I'm in the Portland, Oregon area.

_
_
CapedCrusader is online now   #18 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old January 31st, 2017, 03:47 PM
As far as damage vs defense in Savage Worlds superheroes, I agree it takes a bit of work to balance. It's not as easy to plot how much defense you need versus how much damage is being dealt. Then you throw in the Heavy Armor rules, and it gets fun. I've played Supers in SW a lot more than I've run it.
We've got a guy in one of my groups that likes to over-analyze everything. He did a work up on exploding dice, and it was his contention that it did not add that much of an advantage. While his numbers are solid (they always are), it doesn't feel like they tell the whole story. It feels like it happens more often than his numbers say, and it certainly produces more of a reaction when it happens (as opposed to rolling more dice). It's just exciting. It makes the GM's job tougher, because of the tendency for characters to get lucky and one-shot your bad guys. I recall being concerned during a Deadlands game about throwing a Werewolf at them when they had a distinct lack of silver weapons, and then the Huckster blew it out of it's socks with a Bolt spell first round.
Also - a word on the term "exploding" that always makes me chuckle. The term from Savage Worlds is "Acing", but I've rarely heard anyone call it that. They always say "explode". The term explode is from 7th Sea. Although, in the Second Edition, they've unfortunately limited when dice can explode rather severely. But that's what everyone says.

_
_
CapedCrusader is online now   #19 Reply With Quote
Cobalt-Blue

Old January 31st, 2017, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
As far as damage vs defense in Savage Worlds superheroes, I agree it takes a bit of work to balance. It's not as easy to plot how much defense you need versus how much damage is being dealt. Then you throw in the Heavy Armor rules, and it gets fun. I've played Supers in SW a lot more than I've run it.
We've got a guy in one of my groups that likes to over-analyze everything. He did a work up on exploding dice, and it was his contention that it did not add that much of an advantage. While his numbers are solid (they always are), it doesn't feel like they tell the whole story. It feels like it happens more often than his numbers say, and it certainly produces more of a reaction when it happens (as opposed to rolling more dice). It's just exciting. It makes the GM's job tougher, because of the tendency for characters to get lucky and one-shot your bad guys. I recall being concerned during a Deadlands game about throwing a Werewolf at them when they had a distinct lack of silver weapons, and then the Huckster blew it out of it's socks with a Bolt spell first round.
Also - a word on the term "exploding" that always makes me chuckle. The term from Savage Worlds is "Acing", but I've rarely heard anyone call it that. They always say "explode". The term explode is from 7th Sea. Although, in the Second Edition, they've unfortunately limited when dice can explode rather severely. But that's what everyone says.
I sort of figured that was what it was. Since I've only read 7th Sea and not played it, I tend to think of it as acing. I've had games do that to me before. A critical hit and then a critical failure once when a character tossed a jet at a villain ended the whole adventure as it took out the main bad-guy in a single shot. And it was a female character's revenge on her boyfriend for accidentally shooting her in the face with a laser because he was caught in the blast too.
Cobalt-Blue is offline   #20 Reply With Quote