Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

H2Os

Old February 20th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I'm aware of the content store, however I own a hard copy of ROTRL and don't want to spend another $40 on the pdf from paizo to be allowed to then pay for the RW version of ROTRL. So I'm going to be doing it the old fashioned way.
H2Os is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
H2Os

Old February 20th, 2017, 11:53 AM
TY for the examples and I definitely like the way you have it organized. Too much to think about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
You can use "Manage Names" (Ctrl-Shift-A) to add multiple alternate names to a single Article/Topic.

Note that Rise of the Runelords is expected to be on sale soon after the Content Market completes rollout. We don't have definite dates, but you may want to try to keep only slightly ahead of your PCs until it is out.

Using the Encounter Library: Rise of the Runelords hsa prepared encounters for Pathfinder in the Encounter library. You *could* do this:
  1. Add a HeroLab Portfolio snippet to the Scene topic for an encounter
  2. Select "Create New Content" for that snippet
  3. In HeroLab, use Tools.. then Encounter Library.. then select the Encounter you want and load it.
  4. Delete the "Unnamed Hero" (if it is still there)
  5. Close HeroLab
  6. You will be prompted to save the changes in RealmWorks.

Overall, your best bet is to try new things in a "dummy" or "test" realm that you don't care much about... so if you make a mistake, no harm done. Once you have a handle on how something works, go back to your "real" realm and start using it.

One thing I've dabbled with... using an "Inhabitants" Topic on the Story side to hold the "in-world" information about the monsters (results of knowledge checks, for example). The Bestiary in-game details would go in a Monster entry in the Mechanics.

I have also found it helpful, on the Mechanics side, to create a "General Article" for each alphabet letter to break up the list of monsters. Also, because there are somewhat groups of monsters (Angels, Demons, Devils, etc.), creating a group "General" topic to hold the introductory information about them as a group helped me in organizing. (see attached image)

In my case, because I am intending to wind up with all of the monsters entered, separating by book is not helpful. I used the Suffix to identify which book the monster comes from, and that is sufficient for my purposes.

The main thing with Realm Works is to try different approaches and see which one works best for you.
H2Os is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Os View Post
can you explain something for me?

How do you handle named monsters? For example in Rise of the Runelords there's a section that uses Ogres heavily. Not only do they use the monster Ogre they use a variant called an Ogre Fighter. Then they have named Ogres that are Ogre Barbarians (Jaagrath Kreeg), Ogre Sorcerer (Dorella Kreeg) etc.
Would you create the Ogre monster type and then create these individuals in the container of Ogres?
I break things up into two categories here.

NAMED MONSTERS
This is Bob The Orc Boss. For this i created a duplicate Monster category and put it in the story side of things. This lets me create a monster or person in the story section to handle actual named creatures.

VARIANT MONSTERS
This is an Orc who has two swords instead of his usual equipment. He's also wearing plate armor. For this I have two different approaches that I have used over time.

#1 - Create the Orc article and add in individual Hero Lab snippets into it for each variant.

#2 - Create the Orc article and add in the Hero Lab snippet. Now create variations of the Orc inside that portfolio using Hero Lab. This way when you click the integrate button from RW to HL you get a prompt that lets you choose how many of each variant you want to add to the fight.

#2 is my preferred method these days.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Oh and make sure you add pictures to your Hero Lab monsters this way the pictures appear in the combat manager. This is how I get around the 5e Community Pack not being able to provide monster pictures. I add the picture into Realm Works which means eventually my whole Monster Manual will look pretty.

Pretty matters

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 20th, 2017, 01:52 PM
That's a really good hint, @daplunk. Adding the pics to RW is a great option. Thanks!
AEIOU is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2017, 01:55 PM
To be clear. I add 2x pictures. One in Realm Works. This allows me to share pictures of the monster via the player view screen.

One in the Hero Lab portfolio. The picture itself saves inside the portfolio which is saved within Realm Works effectively replacing the encounter library for me.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
H2Os

Old February 21st, 2017, 10:45 AM
I've not looked at importing and exporting yet but will this allow up to back up our realms if we don't purchase the cloud subscription?
H2Os is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 21st, 2017, 11:02 AM
Yeah that will work.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 21st, 2017, 11:06 AM
Your realm backs up automatically every time you exit RW. Look in Documents -> Realm Works -> Backups and you will see the 10 most recent backups of your RW database.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
H2Os

Old February 21st, 2017, 12:33 PM
daplunk I know you mentioned it in one of your videos, but I can't remember which one. Where can I tell RW to search my content for links?

Sorry for all the questions.

And for reference is there an active list of shortcuts?(keybinds)
H2Os is offline   #20 Reply With Quote