Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

gaffneyks

Old February 9th, 2017, 11:39 AM
So Basically....

For Pathfinder
1) If you have the PDF and proof of purchase. Realm Works would be cheaper as you just pay the Realm Works Content package price vs Fantasy Grounds having to pay the PDF MSRP.
2) If you have a hard copy or PDF with no proof, Fantasy Grounds is cheaper as you just pay the MSRP for the PDF vs both the MSRP for PDF and Realm Works Content Package

For D and D 5E
1) Realm Works has nothing for you right not...nothing. So go to Fantasy Grounds if you want pre made Content as they have official WOTC content at MSRP.

Sad thing here is that the Content Market is not even live and people are either
1) upset with LWD about Pathfinder Content Market/pdf fiasco.
2) upset with no D & D 5e content being released and the fact that they are not going to have any WOTC products.
3) Talking about a competitors product on the LWD forum and linking to the competitors website.

Not sure the Content Market is turning out to be what LWD had envisioned, maybe they should see if Fantasy Grounds or Roll20 can give them a referral kickback.
gaffneyks is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 11:47 AM
You couldn't convince me to go to Fantasy Grounds unless I was playing online. Two very different tools and as far as Campaign Management goes... one is greater than the other.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 9th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffneyks View Post
2) upset with no D & D 5e content being released and the fact that they are not going to have any WOTC products.
3) Talking about a competitors product on the LWD forum and linking to the competitors website.
Be very careful thinking this TINY set of voices represents everyone in the gaming community.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 9th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
Here's a thought. Do you have to own the PDF with a Fantasy Grounds purchase?

I don't think so, but I only own ETU and Savage Worlds.

If you don't then LW is getting screwed.
Fantasy Grounds will be under the same restrictions we are.
BJ is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 9th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
They don't think so.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post320108

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old February 9th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
So the difference between FG and RW for Dragon's Demand:

FG: 24.99 (MSRP)
RW: 27.98 if PDF is not already owned
RW: 9.99 if PDF is already owned

So pretty close to the same price with the added benefit if you already own the PDF, or getting a copy of the PDF. Does FG come with a copy of the PDF for their content in general?
Toblakai is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
Galymyr

Old February 9th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'm pretty sure they're wrong. In the same news release Paizo announced that they had granted a license to both Fantasy Grounds and D20Pro. In the news release on DA20Pro they talked about Paizo developing the back end services to support PDF validation and synchronization between platforms. I seriously doubt Fantasy Grounds got different license terms than LWD and D20Pro.
Galymyr is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 9th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Quote:
If you have a hard copy or PDF with no proof, Fantasy Grounds is cheaper as you just pay the MSRP for the PDF vs both the MSRP for PDF and Realm Works Content Package
The post on the FG site said MSRP for print, not MSRP for PDF. That seems to fit the general pricing scheme used around this niche industry.

Quote:
Sad thing here is that the Content Market is not even live and people are either
Not everyone is upset. As a former subscriber and someone who appreciates both physical books and the portability of PDF versions of them, I see Paizo's licensing setup as a good value proposition for me if/when I run Pathfinder campaigns in the future.

(I'm still hoping for a good color e-ink reader. Someday. Maybe in 20 years. :(

Quote:
I don't play 5e at present and don't have any plans to do so, so this doesn't bother me either. I do hope that WotC/Hasbro and LWD come to an agreement at some point, though, as I think it would benefit both of them and their interested GMs and players.

Quote:
People are going to compare products, whether here or on more general sites. With multiple products announcing content licensing at roughly the same time, you might as well let folks get it out of their system unless correcting inaccuracies becomes too much customer service work.

Parody is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
It sounds like that's not the case and reading between the lines its due specifically to their involvement with Steam. Steam wouldn't allow the type of check that Paizo are asking for. Therefore we can assume the discussion was had and a line in the sand was drawn. I would wager Paizo agreed to step over that line for FG due to the popularity of the tool.

All assumptions, but Steam has a history of being difficult to work with in situations like this.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 9th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Steam doesn't have to play.... Simple as that. And since FG is committed to that platform for distribution, their choices are limited. It's a double-edged sword.
AEIOU is offline   #80 Reply With Quote