Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Malevicus

Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Hello,

Where do I find information regarding "Hit Dice Progression" of a specific monster. On WotC homepage I found a skeleton table that showed that a skeleton get a new HD every second level (1, 3, 5 and so on).

Been looking for information in Monster Manual, Players Handbook and Dungeon Master Guide and the Internet, but I have not find any relevant information.

Surely I have missed some vital information somewhere and would gladely
recieve some help with this!

Malevicus
Malevicus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your question, but I suspect you are asking in the wrong forum. It sounds to me like you are playing 4th ed D&D, so you should post in the forum specifically for that.
Lawful_g is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Malevicus

Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM
I bought the d20 3.5 licence, not 4th ed.

Do as follows and you will see what I mean.

1) Launch the Editor
2) Select "Monster Class" Tag
3) Look at the first section named "Hit Dice & Skills"
4) First row reads "Hit Dice Progression"

Clicking at the information button gives you the following message:

"Enter the number of hit dice this race gets at each new level. (If a level has the same value as the last one, you can just leave it blank.)"

So, back to my question; Where do I find information regarding all monsters hit dice progression.

If I should create a fleshgolem or any other moster that my friends unfortunately have to encounter, should I create the monster as a new Race or as a new Monster Class?

Malevicus
Malevicus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Monster classes are a way for PCs to play things with a level adjustment at lower levels, for example a minotaur at first level. There is no standardized rate at which the HD are gained that I am aware of, it depends on the race that is being added, although most I have seen add a HD every other level. I don't recall ever seeing an official monster level created for Flesh Golems, so I think which levels they get a HD would be up to you and your player to figure out.

For examples, look at races like the Centaur in Races of the Wild

If you are making as a foe for the PCs to fight, I would go with Race, since there is no need for a progression, you can just bootstrap whatever, and when the race is added it will have all it needs

Last edited by Lawful_g; May 28th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Lawful_g is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
klinticuss

Old May 31st, 2009, 03:44 AM
If you do not have one, try to find a savage species book. That would probably be your best resource.
klinticuss is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
If it's a monster that's going to fight the PCs, it has no need of hit dice advancement - Monster Classes are to allow PCs that start at 1st level the ability to be Minotaurs and so on. Just make a race, and enter the fixed number of hit dice it gets.
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Malevicus

Old June 4th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Yes, the monster I want to create are NPC my friends going to encounter during the game. Created the monsters as new races, worked perfectly. Thanx for all help!
Malevicus is offline   #7 Reply With Quote