Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Beldar1215

Old June 12th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hello All,
I'm new to the program and I really like it so far. I'm trying to add a race for a Savage Star Wars game I'm playing and one part is giving me problems. The race gets 2 free skill points at character creation. How would I enter this in the editor?

Beldar1215
Rocky Mountain Savages
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/RMSavages/
Beldar1215 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
tatteredking

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:15 AM
heya Beldar,

First off, welcome aboard!

Second, the best way to figure out how to do things is to look at other mechanics that do similar things. In this case, you are trying to add skill points. What other mechanic in the game allows you to use skill points? How about when you take an advancement, you get a choice of selecting an Edge, 2 skill points, etc. How is that handled in HeroLab?

Wander over to the Rewards tab on the editor, and create a copy of the +1 skill point reward. Take a look at that and see how the skill point is added.
tatteredking is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Beldar1215

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I was able to get this added as a reward last night. When I went into the character, there was an error on saying I over spent on rewards. I think this is because the character has 0 xp listed. I'm wondering if there is a better way to input this so I don't get the error.

It is not really a reward. It is part of character creation. I'm not sure if there is anything close to this in the normal game. We are playing a home brewed Star Wars game.

Thanks for the idea!

Beldar

Beldar1215
Rocky Mountain Savages
Beldar1215 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
tatteredking

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:24 AM
right, in the Editor, when you are creating the Race, create a Racial Ability (call it Skilled, maybe?). Then, in the Editor, wander over to the Rewards tab and create a new one based on a Copy of the reward that gives you +1 Skill Point (rewSkill). Check that out to see how the Reward adds in extra skill points (hint, it's an Eval Script). Then go back to the Racial Ability and add it in there. Bootstrap the racial ability to your race and you got two extra skill points at character creation.
tatteredking is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 17th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I've got you covered....

Create a Racial Ability and call it what you wish.

Create an Eval Script and set the timing phase to Pre-Traits and the Priority to 5000.

The code is:
hero.child[resSkill].field[resMax].value += 2

That should do it.

Correction: The timing for this should be Setup/8000, not PreTraits/5000. It works with either timing, but it's better for this particular modification to be made earlier.

Last edited by CapedCrusader; June 19th, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
CapedCrusader is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Beldar1215

Old June 19th, 2011, 09:57 AM
That was exactly what I needed! I have another question though. I have a race that will start with a free d4 in Piloting. How would this be done? Thanks for the help. I really don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Beldar

Beldar1215
Rocky Mountain Savages
Beldar1215 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old June 19th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Sure. Go into your Race definition, and click on Bootstraps. Click on the field at the bottom to add another bootstrap. Click Choose and find the Piloting skill. Select it, click OK. Click OK again, and Save. You're ready to go.
CapedCrusader is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Beldar1215

Old June 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
Sure. Go into your Race definition, and click on Bootstraps. Click on the field at the bottom to add another bootstrap. Click Choose and find the Piloting skill. Select it, click OK. Click OK again, and Save. You're ready to go.
When I add that the skill shows up but it shows that I used a skill point for it.

screen shows:
skills - 1 of 15 (14 left)

The skill is free so is there a way to get it to not use the skill point? Hope this makes sense.

Beldar

Beldar1215
Rocky Mountain Savages
Beldar1215 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old June 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Certainly. The easiest way is to use the same code we used above to give that Race 2 extra skill points. Just use it to bump up the skill points one for the race that gets Piloting.

hero.child[resSkill].field[resMax].value += 1

In doing some more reading, I think the timing on that code needs to change, though. Since we're dealing with the number of skill points available, Timing should be set to Setup/8000 rather than PreTraits/5000.
CapedCrusader is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
There's probably a better way to solve this that I just posted about over in another thread:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....39&postcount=9
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote