Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Fuzzywessy

Old February 21st, 2017, 10:16 PM
So I'm playing around with an Aasimar Lunar Oracle with an animal companion. Aasimar Oracles get a favored bonus of +1/6 oracle levels for the purposes of determining the effects of 1 revelation. I selected "Primal Companion" as the revelation, but the program doesn't seem to recognize my increased levels on the companion page. Is there something I need to do to activate that or is it a glitch? I tried switching all of my favored bonuses to +1HP just to see if it would change anything and it did not.
Fuzzywessy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:36 AM
Did you take the bonus six times?
A +1/6 should give you a bonus after taking the same option six times.

If that is the case, I'd suggest a bug report.
Ualaa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:49 AM
I think it is working as it should be. Your level doesn't increase and as the revelation states:

You gain the service of a faithful animal of the night. (explains what you get from the revelation)
You can select from a bear, boar, crocodile, shark, tiger, or wolf. (indicates a limitation of the selection you are allowed to make)
This animal functions as a druid’s animal companion, using your oracle level as your effective druid level. (explains how the companion works and that you use your oracle level in place of druid)

This revelation isn't level based. What this revelation does is opening up the option to get a companion as if you were a druid. The companion rules still apply as normal. Meaning it is based on your level and that favored class bonus doesn't increase your active oracle level for the companion just for the revelation and as I said this one isn't level based. (seeing all this revelation does is open the door to a companion)

Now look for example at Form of the beast:

As a standard action, you can assume the form of a Small or Medium animal, as beast shape I. At 9th level, you can assume the form of a Tiny or Large animal, as beast shape II.
At 11th level, you can assume the form of a Diminutive or Huge animal or a Small or Medium magical beast, as beast shape III. At 13th level, you can assume the form of a Tiny or Large magical beast, as beast shape IV. You can use this ability once per day, but the duration is 1 hour/level. You must be at least 7th level to select this revelation.

This revelation actually alters at certain levels and this is what the favored class bonus works on. This is at least how I see what the favored class bonus is supposed to work for and I think that is also the assessment Lonewolf made.

Searching I also came along this topic about it. Where it was reported apparently, making me guess that my above reasoning is the reason it hasn't been altered. But the only way to get an official answer will be a bug report

Last edited by Togainu; February 22nd, 2017 at 05:13 AM.
Togainu is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:36 AM
This is a known bug that we haven't found a solution to yet. The effective level of a familiar/animal companion/eidolon needs to be determined extremely early, because fundamental things about a minion depend on that effective level.

Favored class bonuses aren't currently determined early enough to be used in minion calculations, so fixing this requires a re-arrangement of the scripts for favored class bonuses, which will take some of time to accomplish, and then to test for any bugs created because of that change, and we have not yet had a chance to devote the block of time needed to get this working.

So favored class bonuses that alter the effective level of a minion are not currently implemented in Hero Lab.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:40 AM
Note that the Companion Effective Level adjustment on the Personal tab's permanent adjustments table can be used to work around this - it's just up to the user to determine how much to alter the effective level.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Fuzzywessy

Old February 22nd, 2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the work-around!
Fuzzywessy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote