Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bebberino

Old February 21st, 2017, 08:59 AM
Thank you all for posting, but sadly my mind was made up a few days ago and Paizo is the reasom

I own a multitude of their books in hardcopy, not pdf, and have no desire to spend another small fortune on the pdfs of said books.

I hope it goes well, but their new policy is a deal breaker for me.

I don't want to buy something a total of three times, twice from Paizo and once for RealmWorks.
Bebberino is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old February 21st, 2017, 10:06 AM
You. Would. Have. To. Pay. The. Same. Even. If. It. Didn't. Come. With. A. PDF.

Why do people not understand that?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 21st, 2017, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post

People do understand that, and that's what they resent. People have invested a lot of money in the hardback books, more per book than the PDFs cost. They've already given their money to Paizo, and they resent being left out in the cold for it.

I'm fortunate enough to have caught the deal they had on Humble Bundle a while back, and to have taken advantage of some convention deals where I got a PDF code along with a hardback purchase. So most of what I might purchase from the content market (pending my hopeful reinstatement of gainful employment), I already have the PDFs.

But for the people who say they've already invested heavily in the hardbacks, if I were in their shoes, I'd feel slighted by Paizo as well. Some of these people have been Paizo customers since longer than PDFs have been around. Some of these people have been loyal in supporting their local game shop. Paizo still got their fair share, and they're leaving some of their oldest and most loyal customers out in the cold. Some of these people just don't like PDFs.

We can debate reasons and practicalities regarding Paizo's policy, but the bottom line is that people who have already paid them more per book than people who have bought the PDFs are being treated, whether intentional or not, as second-class customers.

And whether you agree with them or not, you can at least try to understand why they feel the way they do. Put your feet in their shoes for a while. Most people have a set income from which rents and mortgages have to paid, children have to be clothed, fed and educated, medical bills have to be paid, and car payments have to be made. Then to be told, "yes, you bought several of our expensive books, and you bought this great program, for which you'll likely keep paying for cloud services, but if you want our product available in this program, you have buy all those books AGAIN. Sorry bout that. Have a nice day."

That pill doesn't go down so easily.
EightBitz is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Bebberino

Old February 21st, 2017, 10:33 AM
Quote:

I do understand that, but I would of gotten the PDFs instead of the hardcopies instead.

People are getting screwed because they have some books in hardcopy that they might want to use in RealmWorks.

I have no issue with the PDF and then buying the product for RealmWorks, but I have an issue with ending up with all 3, especially considering I am not nearly as fortunate to get pdf deals from conventions.
Bebberino is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old February 21st, 2017, 04:44 PM
My feet are in their shoes. I have most of the hardcover rulebooks. I have several hard copy modules, and I have the new Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover, among other things. If I want to run CotCT in RW, I have to pay the same as if I didn't own the hardcover. I don't care, because at least I'm getting a pdf out of it. If it were Rappan Athuk instead, I'd still have to pay the extra to cover the publisher's share and I wouldn't get a pdf, because they don't have the same license.

I'm getting something extra for my money. And if I happen to already have the pdf, I get a discount instead of having to pay for the same electronic content twice. I'm sorry Paizo doesn't want to give the same discount to hard copy owners, but I feel in no way slighted by their decision.

Edit: And the most expensive hard copy books I have are the Rulebook line, which aren't subject to the pdf thing anyway. So on my biggest investment I'm neither gaining nor losing anything.

Last edited by Mystic Lemur; February 21st, 2017 at 04:48 PM.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 21st, 2017, 05:59 PM
Quote:
My feet are in their shoes. I have most of the hardcover rulebooks. I have several hard copy modules, and I have the new Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover, among other things. If I want to run CotCT in RW, I have to pay the same as if I didn't own the hardcover. I don't care, because at least I'm getting a pdf out of it. If it were Rappan Athuk instead, I'd still have to pay the extra to cover the publisher's share and I wouldn't get a pdf, because they don't have the same license.

I'm getting something extra for my money. And if I happen to already have the pdf, I get a discount instead of having to pay for the same electronic content twice. I'm sorry Paizo doesn't want to give the same discount to hard copy owners, but I feel in no way slighted by their decision.

Edit: And the most expensive hard copy books I have are the Rulebook line, which aren't subject to the pdf thing anyway. So on my biggest investment I'm neither gaining nor losing anything.
OK, that's fine for you. Others feel differently. That doesn't mean they don't understand. It just means they feel differently.
EightBitz is offline   #46 Reply With Quote