Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

wurzel

Old March 1st, 2016, 02:44 PM
Currently I'm preparing an adventure in a large city. I have lots of pins on the map, showing the location of taverns, temples, people's houses, every kind of place that is at least half important or just worth mentioning.

My problem now is the following: when the players are looking for Bob the executioner and I want to look up where he lives the link just shows me the map, and does not highlight the corresponding pin. So I go searching where his house is - I'm too old to remember every little detail, and there are hundreds of pins on the map. And it matters of course - whether he lives in a chateau or in the slum quarter makes quite a difference in the approach.

Is there a way to find the pin directly or does this have to go to the feature request section, probably as the last in a very long line?

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 1st, 2016, 02:49 PM
This would be spiffy to implement. I'm encountering the same problems.
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 1st, 2016, 07:50 PM
Would be nice, but what would be more useful to me, and which has been requested in another thread, is to have a table of contents off to the right, like you do in topic and article views, that would list the titles of all the pins on the map alpha-numerically. If you highlight an item on the list, I would like for the corresponding pin to change color or otherwise be highlighted.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:58 PM
+1 to both MNBlockHead and wurzel's suggestions.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:26 AM
I've had the same problems but on a lessor level.
I'd +1 both of those ideas.

It's early morning and I don't have time to check this but would it also be a good idea to have a toggle button that would show the titles of all revealed pins? I'm thinking it would be useful when showing players the map to quickly let them remember what they know. Let's face it, one shopkeeper's house or business tends to look like most others on the those maps.
Gord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:46 AM
There have been lots of requests to improve the pins. My concern is that so many of the requests would create a confusing mess on maps will lots of pins. I wouldn't mind having the ability to toggle titles and customer colors and icons, as long as there are options I can keep off.

Personally, I think being able to change colors would be more important than toggling title text (you can already hover over a pin to see its info). I see two schemes for pin icons that I would use.

Overland, I would use hex-crawl type symbols. Town icons, cave icons, and so forth.

For "dungeon" maps I would simply want the pins to have numbers. And I would use colors: red for combat encounters, green for normal room pins, yellow for traps, etc.

If there was a table of contents for the PINs in the right pane, those numbers could be matched to the pins, further helping locate the pin on a large map with lots of pins (though clicking on the TOC should cause the pin to glow or display the tool tip).

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:49 AM
Maybe an option for a colored circle and an entry box that you could type in a 3-character identifier?

I like adding the icon to the list. And being able to customize icons would give maximum flexibility.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Barwickian

Old March 8th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Changing pin colours would be very handy.
Barwickian is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old April 14th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Bumping this thread. We definitely need a funcition to be able to find a pin on a map FROM the topic of the pin. Large map, lots of pins, I can't remember where X was on the map, but I can search and find topic for X, but can't use that to then find X on the map.

+1 to both Wurzel and MNBlockheads suggestions.
Conandy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old April 15th, 2019, 12:22 AM
+1

Absolutely!

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote