Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

TCArknight

Old June 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ok, with all the advances to the program going on, any chance of getting d20 Modern gameset anytime soon? Maybe as part of the d20 OGL?

TC
TCArknight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ozchandler

Old June 13th, 2010, 08:21 PM
as i'm getting ready to run a t2k d20m campaign soon, i hope this happens asap
ozchandler is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
There's a thread in the Hero Lab discussion forum where you can vote for which game systems should be our priorities.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Ghaleon

Old June 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
voted there but not encouraged by how low it was on the list of those voted on. am very hopeful about a possible D20 option for the HL. currently trying to figure out how to create a custom class for reg D20 and make the classes myself, not going well.
Ghaleon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 18th, 2010, 12:32 AM
What are your problems? I'll be happy to give guidance.
Lawful_g is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old June 18th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I really think the biggest difference between d20 3.5 and d20 Modern is the Talent Trees and the Wealth system.

I'm looking at it because I recently got involved in an online Sidewinder:Recoiled game and had no character generator. PCGen has the dataset for it, but it seems a bit buggy.

Here's a couple of ways I see things:

1) Talent trees - Could be done through Class Special abilities maybe?

2) Advanced Classes - Done as Prestige classes perhaps? Just a lot fewer requirements?

3) Occupations - These may be complicated. They provide either a couple of new Class skills, a +1 to a couple of Class skills if your base class at 1st level has the skills chosen already, and possibly one of two or three feats.

4) No alignments - Would need to remove the alignments from D20

5) Base Classes - All existing classes would need to go away and be replaced by the D20Modern base classes.

6) Action Points would need to be a part of the system by default

7) Without a base skeleton data for d20, not sure how to duplicate the existing d20 Mechanics. If just copy the data to a new dataset, then the core classes, etc remain...

Those are some of the major differences I see right off. I was planning on playing around with it this weekend (Along with getting more of the spells from Complete Warrior entered... ) but if could get started early, that would be great. Maybe a coordinated team effort?

Thomas

Last edited by TCArknight; June 18th, 2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Added a couple more bullet points.
TCArknight is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 18th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Don't know much about the system, so I'll ask a few questions.

1) Are they something you can choose based on your class levels? Because if so, Custom Abilities might work well.

2) Sure, sounds fine

3) Are Occupations something you pick at 1st level? I get that impression. If so, you can probably do this with an Upbringing feat (with skills add or bonus on it), that selects from several specials with unique User tags that are bootstrapping the appropriate feat with a condition that their unique tag is on the hero.

For example...
Occupation: Plumber is the occupation Upbringing feat only available at 1st level. In an Eval Script it checks to see if your class has Profession (plumber) & climb as a class skill, if not, assign it as class skill and done, otherwise add +X bonus.

Perhaps it lets you select from Swingin Pipe, and Plumber's Crack! as a bonus feat. In the custom expression for the upbrining feat, search for things with the User.PlumberSel tag.

Now define 2 new specials which will be bootstrapped to the Upbringing Feat:
Swingin Pipe: It has User.PlumberSel and User.SelSwiPipe. Bootstrapped to it is the actual feat "Swingin Pipe" with a condition that it is not added unless User.SelSwiPipe is on the Hero.
Plumber's Crack!: It also has User.PlumberSel (so it will be among the things choosable by our upbringing feat) and User.SelPlumCrk. Bootstrapped to it is the actual feat "Plumber's Crack!" with a condition that it is not added unless User.SelPlumCrk is on the Hero.

Now go back to the Upbringing feat and write a eval script that says "On selected special, forward the User.Sel? tag to the hero" This way once you make a selection the appropriate User tag will go to the hero, triggering the special you chose to add the correct feat. To see something similar look at Weapon Focus, it also forwards a tag to the hero based on what is selected.

4) I don't know about this one, I would just ignore them.

5) You can hide things in the editor, there is a tab. Alternately, you could make the new base classes and replace the old ones with them.

6) Isn't this one of the house rule things? You can set it as default.

7) I don't understand what you said.
Lawful_g is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old June 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
1) Yes, Talent trees are groups of three or four class abilities. Usually one or two have no prereq. where the others do. A class could gain access to a talent tree from another class, so the abilities would probably need a tag in common or something like fhDefTree or fhISpdTree for the Defensive Talent Tree (Consisting of Evasion, Uncanny Dodge I, Uncanny Dodge II and Defensive Roll abilities) and the Increased Speed Tree (with the Increased Speed, Improved Increased Speed and Advanced Increased Speed abilities). Some also require choices of at least one talent from a specified tree.

The base classes are 10 levels, and gain a Talent on every odd level, and a bonus feat specific to the class on every even level.

2) Cool, sounds workable.

3) Yes, occupations are only chosen at 1st level. Sounds like a possible way to do it.

4) Yeah, for now.

5) That's what I thought, although I'd have to go through and hide every item in d20 that I don't need.. was hoping for a easier way.

6) Yes, it's part of the Unearthed Arcana settings.

7) Yeah, I confused myself too. What I was hoping for was a way to get jsut the d20 mechanics without any of the existing classes, feats, etc. If i needed to I could copy them over, but looks like I'll have to go from the hide it route.
TCArknight is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
In the editor, for classes, you've seen that they can be set to use the custom abilities of other classes, right? Those tags could be assigned by scripts, rather than being permanently attached to the class.

So, when a class allows other classes access to a talent tree, it can assign the appropriate "Allow Custom Abilities From..." tag to the appropriate classes.

I think if you assigned every custom ability in a talent tree to a specific User tag, making sure to use the same initial letters for each tag, you could put scripts on the classes to loop through all their abilities, forwarding those user tags to the hero, where they can be checked for pre-reqs.

Defensive might be User.TaTrDefens
Increased Speed might be User.TaTrSpeed

Just make sure that all Talent Tree tags start with TaTr, and you can search for tags that fit that pattern with "User.TaTr?"
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old June 19th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks Mathias!

I think that's the way I'll go.

So far, I've managed to do a preclude on all the D20 classes by precluding the class level entries as well as the class entries themselves. The easy part is adding the new 'Hero' class to the mix.

Looking at the class though, there are three things each class has that the normal D20 class doesn't. Ideally, both of these progressions should show on the class' tab similar to

a) Defense Bonus - Class' defense bonus is used to calculate AC. This is in addition to the AC provided by Dex or Equipment.

b) Reputation bonus - A bonus value used to determine whether a chaacter is well known or not known at all. a Fame feat would add +3 to this value while something like a Low Profile feat would add a -3 to the Reputation value.

Suggestions?
TCArknight is offline   #10 Reply With Quote