Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

DarkHerald

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I am not sure if this has been asked before, I did a quick search and did not find an answer to my question.

Do you have to make use of your cloud services in order for RW to function? What I mean by this is could I make use of my own cloud service that I am already paying for and point RW there?

I personal prefer to have one large cloud service that I am paying for, instead of multiple different ones.

Thank you.
DarkHerald is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Elindor

Old December 16th, 2013, 02:33 AM
While there's nothing stopping you from backing up your database to the cloud storage service of your choice, I would expect that you wouldn't get any of the other benefits of the Realm Works cloud service while doing so (data sharing, the content marketplace, etc).

It is also strongly recommended against mirroring the database structure through a cloud storage service, as unexpected things can happen to your data that way (trying to update the same file from two sources simultaneously without extremely careful planning can be extremely messy, and the directory structure wouldn't be built for that).

One clarification I would like to see regarding the cloud service - since most functionality can be used offline, will any of the necessary prerequisite tasks that require cloud access (such as creating new realms) require a subscription?
Elindor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 16th, 2013, 05:56 AM
@Elindor is exactly correct. Realm Works is not like Dropbox or other cloud storage services. Those services just store files for you. Realm Works involves a complex database that manages every little detail of your world and lets you control what information is/isn't revealed to players. The Realm Works cloud orchestrates all of this and ensures that only the appropriate information is sent to each computer (whether it be yours or your players). So you could backup your database and store that on Dropbox, but that's the only thing you could use Dropbox for.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 16th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elindor View Post
One clarification I would like to see regarding the cloud service - since most functionality can be used offline, will any of the necessary prerequisite tasks that require cloud access (such as creating new realms) require a subscription?
Nope. You'll need to contact our server to create new realms and a few other little things like that. No cloud service is needed for those operations at all. What they do is create placeholders and reserve slots on the server, as well as ensure the client creates your realm such that you can readily put your realm in the cloud at some point in the future. But there is no requirement to ever do so.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:36 PM
Hypothetical situation: What happens if your company goes under and your servers get shut down. Does Realm Works become essentially useless except to alter existing realms?

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
Hypothetical situation: What happens if your company goes under and your servers get shut down. Does Realm Works become essentially useless except to alter existing realms?
Please see my post here for what I believe is the answer to this: http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....8&postcount=22

Last edited by rob; May 23rd, 2014 at 06:19 PM.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 24th, 2014, 12:43 AM
Cool, thanks for the link.

Btw, I purchased Realm works today and am slowly going through and adding the world I am using. My next purchase may be Hero Lab, then I will have to develop the character sheets for the games I enjoy the most (Rolemaster and HARP)

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #7 Reply With Quote