Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

Barwickian

Old October 6th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrakken View Post
You know, after watching your videos; what really struck me is how much time it must have taken you to enter all that data. I'm not going to lie, as a new user that is barely scratching the surface, the task ahead of me feels truly daunting.

Hurry up content market and take my money already!
While I share your desire for the content market, it's mainly so I can get a damned good look at how others have organised their content.

Like daplunk I have a huge amount of information in my various realms. All I can say is that it's much easier if you have PDFs to cut and paste from. You quickly learn keyboard shortcuts to ease the process, and the very act of going through information, cutting and pasting it, doing little bits of reorganisation in Realm Works, actually serves as prep time - you remember a lot of it.

Some of the pain is in working out how you're actually going to organise the content. That you really learn by doing - I scarcely touch the plot and relationships windows, for instance, preferring a slightly more traditional structure of storylines combined with containers for places, people and things - the hyperlinks tie everything together.

Since I'm more interested in setting and background, and since my players know the rules system pretty well, I've concentrated more on getting setting details into RW than game mechanics.

It *can* be a pain. It is, after all, a form of data entry. There are times I don't want to do it, and times I enjoy it. So long as I keep a couple of steps ahead of the players, I can happily go off and play a computer game instead of prepping.

Initially, getting in the background information took a few weeks of solitary effort. Since then, I've just kept adding to the plot information as necessary. I try to keep a few sessions ahead of the players.

For example, my players have just reached the Graul Farm in Rise of the Runelords - I've got that and Fort Rannick already in Realm Works, and once I stop typing here I'll add some more plot entries from the rest of the Hook Mountain Massacre. I doubt I'll get that chapter finished this evening, but you never know. You get quicker the more you do it.
Barwickian is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
dentaa

Old October 6th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Awesome!!!!! Thank you!!!!
dentaa is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old October 6th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barwickian View Post
While I share your desire for the content market, it's mainly so I can get a damned good look at how others have organised their content.

Like daplunk I have a huge amount of information in my various realms. All I can say is that it's much easier if you have PDFs to cut and paste from. You quickly learn keyboard shortcuts to ease the process, and the very act of going through information, cutting and pasting it, doing little bits of reorganisation in Realm Works, actually serves as prep time - you remember a lot of it.

Some of the pain is in working out how you're actually going to organise the content. That you really learn by doing - I scarcely touch the plot and relationships windows, for instance, preferring a slightly more traditional structure of storylines combined with containers for places, people and things - the hyperlinks tie everything together.

Since I'm more interested in setting and background, and since my players know the rules system pretty well, I've concentrated more on getting setting details into RW than game mechanics.

It *can* be a pain. It is, after all, a form of data entry. There are times I don't want to do it, and times I enjoy it. So long as I keep a couple of steps ahead of the players, I can happily go off and play a computer game instead of prepping.

Initially, getting in the background information took a few weeks of solitary effort. Since then, I've just kept adding to the plot information as necessary. I try to keep a few sessions ahead of the players.

For example, my players have just reached the Graul Farm in Rise of the Runelords - I've got that and Fort Rannick already in Realm Works, and once I stop typing here I'll add some more plot entries from the rest of the Hook Mountain Massacre. I doubt I'll get that chapter finished this evening, but you never know. You get quicker the more you do it.
Totally get where you're coming from and I too have noticed with just a few days of data entry, I have gotten a lot better and through watching many videos, have learnt a lot of tricks. I mainly want the content market for the mechanics and potentially the setting; I fully intend to enter the plot/adventure myself as I do agree; it's a good form of prep. Plus I'm running 6 PC's who are mythic through Reign of Winter which was intended for 4 PC's and no mythic so I have to do a lot of rewriting/restructuring anyway.

Last edited by Dhrakken; October 6th, 2016 at 12:51 PM.
Dhrakken is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old October 9th, 2016, 10:58 AM
That was one great video. I am in awe of the data and organization you have put in place. My data files are getting large but I can't imagine the size of yours.
Gord is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 10th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Very nice mate!

Finally back in town and can watch a video, internet at the lake is very spotty and it can be a chore to read email.

One thing these videos do, is show those who are new, or even little wary about using RW, a little booster to get going.

One thing that can not be stressed enough, is how forgiving RW is, you can always re manipulate the data entered, and nothing is a waste of time.

Very good stuff, keep it coming!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 14th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Hi guys,

New video focused on timelines.

Realm Works - Timelines

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 14th, 2016, 12:51 PM
And one on entering a module from PDF into RW.

Realm Works - Prepping a Module

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old October 14th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
And one on entering a module from PDF into RW.

Realm Works - Prepping a Module
Oh this one I can't wait to see!
Dhrakken is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 14th, 2016, 01:07 PM
It's probably the most boring one so far to be honest. I tried to show how i enter a PDF in using a very small adventure but its still going to be long winded. Need to do some actual video editing perhaps to show snippets of the process instead of the start to finish.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
King Chicken

Old October 14th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I know I posted before, but that was 3 videos ago. Doing gord's work. Much appreciated.

RW: D&D 5e Sandbox campaign - Faerun
RW: Pathfinder Sandbox in Greyhawk - waiting for Marketplace for PF rules
Using Fantasy Grounds for VTT, Waiting for Roll20Pro(Mage Hand) Release
RW: Paizo - Strange Aeons AP
King Chicken is offline   #30 Reply With Quote