Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

Tabris

Send a message via MSN to Tabris

Old May 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I'm curious and want to know what data files and other materials i can share in the forum?

If i make a data set for a given system can i share it there?
If i make a file with content from a third party source for a given supported system (Say i convert material by Super Genius Games for Pathfinder) can i share it here without problems?
Tabris is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Leonal

Old May 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
You should refer to the respective products/companies' copyright/license statements before deciding if something can be shared or not. (For Pathfinder/SGG products that means what and if they have listed something as open content).

If in doubt, don't. (or ask a lawyer to make sure).

Last edited by Leonal; May 13th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Leonal is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Tabris

Old May 13th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonal View Post
You should refer to the respective products/companies' copyright/license statements before deciding if something can be shared or not. (For Pathfinder/SGG products that means what and if they have listed something as open content).

If in doubt, don't. (or ask a lawyer to make sure).
Thanks. So for my example it's mostly a yes, but only because basically every mechanic presented by Super Genius Games is OGC but if i decided to convert Sundered Skies from Savage Worlds (Not sure if it's already part of it or not, don't have the data set for Savage Worlds yet) i would not be able to share it?
Tabris is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Leonal

Old May 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I would assume so, but haven't read the SW license.
For Paizo material for example, you'd also need to include the relevant Community Use Policy text (as stated in the CUP) too.
Leonal is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Tabris

Old May 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonal View Post
I would assume so, but haven't read the SW license.
For Paizo material for example, you'd also need to include the relevant Community Use Policy text (as stated in the CUP) too.
And where exactly should i include that?
Tabris is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Leonal

Old May 13th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I'd say in a text file following the shared file, and/or the web page it is hosted on. (But I'm just a user, and I'm sure the CUP and Paizo can give a more concise answer)...
Leonal is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 14th, 2011, 09:23 AM
The public sharing of content is ultimately governed by the company that created that content. The fact that it's been transcribed into Hero Lab data files does not change anything. Consequently, if the original content is open, then you can freely share it in any form (including HL data files). If the original content is NOT open, then you would have to check with the publisher.

That being said, most publishers want players using the material they create, and anything that better enables that use is generally considered a "good thing". So most publishers would be happy to see Hero Lab data files created for their games. The key factor then becomes the extent to which the content is reconstructed within the data files. If the content is fully available through the data files - to the point where the books become less critical - the publisher may want a royalty of some sort. However, if the content in the data files is less extensive, many publishers will be happy to give their blessings without any royalty. The decision is ultimately in the hands of each publisher, though, and the views of one publisher may differ from another. So you'll need to check with the publisher for non-open content.

Hope this helps....
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Pandect

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Thank you rob, that is definitely sage advice !

I've just rejoined the local RPing community after a ~15 year absence. So I was completely overwhelmed as to how much the RP landscape has changed since the days of AD&D V2.

Firstly, just let me say what a wonderful tool Hero Lab is. ***WARNING - FANBOI MOMENT *** I'm only using the D20 system at the moment but I'm really impressed with it. So impressed, that I have started a Book of Vile Darkness data file for my benevolently challenged NPCs & Mob bosses.

So before I get too deep into it (I've just completed the level one spell list). I need to ask a few questions of the community.

1) Has anyone started a BVD data file already ?

2) Who owns the 3.0 / 3.5 source book material now ?

Cheers in advance

P.
Pandect is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 9th, 2013, 05:54 AM
the publishers of the books still own their source material. So, for 3.0/3.5 its Wizards of The Coast/Hasbro, unless its a third party.

I would check the D20 forums as far as the BVD. A lot of stuff has been done in the community files, so some of that may be done. dont know.

Last edited by mirtos; April 9th, 2013 at 05:59 AM.
mirtos is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Although you have to remember the OGL for the d20 stuff is pretty open. So as long as you aren't trying to sell a reformatted product from someone else you are probably OK.

But check the d20 repository before you start on new materials to see if it isnt already done.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #10 Reply With Quote