Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Benevalent

Old November 20th, 2015, 02:59 PM
The classical forum beginning, hope this is good to go here.

I've been looking and fiddling with trying to make "Arcanists" an option under favored enemy class ability similar the "Arcane Hunter" ranger variant class which sounds like it might be problem solved except the variant doesn't allow Arcanist to appear with the other enemy options when looking to improve the favored enemy bonus via leveling.

this doesn't sound like a big bridge to cross, but I hope theres some other minutely obsessed people out there to help.

just wanna add Arcanists to either the selectable favored enemies or to edit the arcane hunter, ranger variant class for it to show up correctly under the other selected enemy table.

Thanks!
Benevalent is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old November 22nd, 2015, 02:04 AM
The short answer is no, it is not possible to add to the list of favored enemies using the editor. Favored enemies is contained in a *.dat file that is separate from everything else.

Now, I think it might be possible to manually code new favored enemies using the raw xml file but, I fear that is a bit beyond my expertise. I even tried copy and pasting and then renaming an existing one to "arcanist" It didnt work.

Favored enemies is one of those things, like familiar progression changes, that cannot be modified by the editor, it requires someone to physically alter the code. I don't know if this is something that would be difficult to code, but at first glance I doubt it would take someone knowledgeable with xml all that long. You might ask one of them.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 22nd, 2015, 09:24 AM
So as Toby said its not something that you can do in the editor. The RAW XML is provided to everyone under the folder 'Source' so adding a new one is not that hard. You can add the following to any existing .user file just before the </document> using a text editor.

I added a Pre-Req validation that says this FE is only valid if you have the variant class Arcane Hunter. In addition this only works for those that have the community stuff as Arcane Hunter does not exist in d20 core.

Code:
  <thing
    id="feS2Arcani"
    name="Arcanists"
    compset="FavEnemy"
    isunique="yes"
    description="Your favored enemy bonus works against those that cast Arcane spells.">
    <exprreq message="Arcane Hunter variant class required."><![CDATA[
      tagis[ClassVary.cvArcHunte] <> 0
      ]]></exprreq>
    </thing>
If not comfortable editing XML files make sure you make backup copies before trying. Once added then restart HL or do a CTRL-R to recompile everything.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Benevalent

Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:59 PM
Wow guys thanks so much for your quick reply and helping a non xml-er with just an inkling of an idea. it worked practically immediately, after I realized not to leave it in the source folder, but the data/d20.
It makes me worried that I haven't seen this anywhere else that it seems a very simple fix if you know what your doing, no one had to bring it up to fix it!

you really went above and beyond to write it up for me and to even include the arcane hunter clause which I do have via the "cheese weasel" adds a whole bunch of secondary, variant, supplements, etc for D20 3.5 system.

I'll just throw it down here in case anyone else comes across this in their inquires and finds it.

http://www.shadowsoftware.net/herolab/d20/updates.xml

Just go under your herolab updates and press the "add source", add new source, copy paste, and shouldn't give you too much trouble i hope. =] throw it out in the internet and hope someone benefits from it.

Thanks so much again guys!
Benevalent is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old November 23rd, 2015, 06:12 AM
Hmmm...I may steal that for the community set. To save yourself a headache down the road, I suggest you place this in your Complete Mage file. That way when the next release comes out, you won't have to worry about duplicate entries. Normally, I would recommend not editing files from the community set, but in this case I think it would be fine (at least until 1.17 comes out).
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote