Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

BardMorgan

Old March 29th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Ok.. perhaps I've missed this somewhere, and if so, my apologies. I've searched around the forums and haven't found anything.

I was a KS backer at the Pack Member level. I have downloaded the 1.0.1000.156 version of the software and all is going great.

I would like to sync my realms to my laptop. I'm one of those guys that preps on my desktop and then uses my laptop to run my games.

On the My Realms screen, my Synch button is disabled with a tooltip saying, "Sync not available with your current account level. Upgrade to enable syncing."

On the web site, I see that a newly purchased license of RW comes with 6 months of cloud access. However, there seems to be no place that I can upgrade to enable syncing.

What am I missing? It seems that this is not working for me, and I'd be happy to upgrade, but there's no place to do so.

Thanks,

Morgan
BardMorgan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 29th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Did you set up a UserID, password and then log into those when starting RealmWorks? That should be all you really need, I would think.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
BardMorgan

Old March 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I did all of that, yes. I can log in and create realms, but the sync button is still disabled with the message I put in my original message.
BardMorgan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 29th, 2014, 06:51 PM
The Pack Member level of the Kickstarter did NOT include any cloud support - cloud was provided to backers at the Pack Hunter level and higher. At the end of last year, we offered the option of upgrading to get cloud support to all backers at the Pack Member level. We also we informed all Pack Members that there would NOT initially be an option to upgrade when we first released Realm Works. If you did not take advantage of that option, then there is no cloud support for your account, since you specifically opted to forgo the cloud support.

We plan to offer cloud support as an upgrade option for Pack Member backers in the not-too-distant future. We have to get some stuff coordinated first to make that happen. Once we make that upgrade available, you'll have the option to add cloud support if you wish.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 29th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The Pack Member level of the Kickstarter did NOT include any cloud support - cloud was provided to backers at the Pack Hunter level and higher. At the end of last year, we offered the option of upgrading to get cloud support to all backers at the Pack Member level. We also we informed all Pack Members that there would NOT initially be an option to upgrade when we first released Realm Works. If you did not take advantage of that option, then there is no cloud support for your account, since you specifically opted to forgo the cloud support.

We plan to offer cloud support as an upgrade option for Pack Member backers in the not-too-distant future. We have to get some stuff coordinated first to make that happen. Once we make that upgrade available, you'll have the option to add cloud support if you wish.
While it's true that he chose to forgo the cloud support in the Kickstarter, it seems a bit backwards that the general public can cloud sync, and a Kickstarter backer can't upgrade his account yet.

I don't know what the technical issues are, but that seems kind of harsh.

Just an opinion. I'm not trying to start another ruckus.
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:15 PM
@Eightbitz: I believe you're overlooking a critically important detail due to not having participated in the Kickstarter. Please take a look at the Kickstarter for more complete info, but here's the summary.

The Pack Member backer level was $35 and specifically did NOT include cloud access. The Pack Hunter backer level was $50 and specifically DID include cloud access. There were also higher pledge levels.

So the playing field is absolutely equal for who gets cloud access for how much money, regardless of whether someone backed the Kickstarter or not.

When we decided to include the six months of free cloud service, we were very careful to pick a price point that would not tick off the Pack Hunter backers by effectively undervaluing their pledge. A few of them still assumed they would be getting a discount relative to the official release pricing and expressed displeasure at our decision to sell the product for what they backed us at. If we were to give Pack Member backers full cloud access, we would absolutely be digging ourselves into a deep hole with Pack Hunter backers, and that's not something we're going to do. We instead gave all Pack Member backers the option to "upgrade" their backer level in December, and many of them did so. In this particular backer's case, he opted not to do so.

Hope that makes things clearer!
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
@Eightbitz: I believe you're overlooking a critically important detail due to not having participated in the Kickstarter. Please take a look at the Kickstarter for more complete info, but here's the summary.

The Pack Member backer level was $35 and specifically did NOT include cloud access. The Pack Hunter backer level was $50 and specifically DID include cloud access. There were also higher pledge levels.

So the playing field is absolutely equal for who gets cloud access for how much money, regardless of whether someone backed the Kickstarter or not.

When we decided to include the six months of free cloud service, we were very careful to pick a price point that would not tick off the Pack Hunter backers by effectively undervaluing their pledge. A few of them still assumed they would be getting a discount relative to the official release pricing and expressed displeasure at our decision to sell the product for what they backed us at. If we were to give Pack Member backers full cloud access, we would absolutely be digging ourselves into a deep hole with Pack Hunter backers, and that's not something we're going to do. We instead gave all Pack Member backers the option to "upgrade" their backer level in December, and many of them did so. In this particular backer's case, he opted not to do so.

Hope that makes things clearer!
If I understand correctly, someone who backed the Kickstarter doesn't even have the option to upgrade to (pay more for) cloud access. I understand he had two options to pay for cloud access; one when he initially supported, and one when he had the option to upgrade.

But, now, people who NEVER backed the Kickstarter have access to the cloud. If the option to upgrade in December included that caveat (even when the man-on-the-street can get cloud access, you still won't be able to, even if you give us more money), then I suppose it is what it is. And that clause may have been in the upgrade notice. I don't know.

But if it wasn't, and I was that guy, I would feel a bit slighted right now in the sense that people who never backed the Kickstarter are better off than he is, because he can't even upgrade to a non-backer level.

Anyway, that's my last comment on the issue.
EightBitz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
BardMorgan

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:30 PM
For the record, folks, I'm not complaining at all! My question was one of curiosity and seeking complete information. I missed out on the upgrade offer because of my own not keeping up with news. Truth to tell, this was my first kickstarter and I was being intentionally conservative when I selected my contribution level.

I'm happily looking forward to being able to purchase cloud access and hope it'll be soon.

Thanks!

Morgan
BardMorgan is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardMorgan View Post
For the record, folks, I'm not complaining at all! My question was one of curiosity and seeking complete information. I missed out on the upgrade offer because of my own not keeping up with news. Truth to tell, this was my first kickstarter and I was being intentionally conservative when I selected my contribution level.

I'm happily looking forward to being able to purchase cloud access and hope it'll be soon.

Thanks!

Morgan
OK, then. Nevermind me. I retract my earlier comments.

You're a good man, BardMorgan.
EightBitz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:51 PM
@EightBitz: When we made the decision to include the cloud, we knew that we wouldn't be able to provide the upgrade option for KS backers immediately upon release. We communicated that fact to all KS backers as part of the upgrade notice so they knew they would have to deal without cloud for a little while if they chose not to upgrade in December. We're juggling a zillion things with a tiny team and can't do everything at once. The alternative was to delay release longer to get all that stuff into place, which I'm sure would have made YOU a very unhappy camper. It's all a juggle, and we're doing things as best we can.

@BardMorgan: Thanks for your patience! We juggling things as fast as we can, and it's NOT easy.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote