Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Ozymandias

Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Good evening,

I have installed & launched Realm Works this evening to begin creating a database about my Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition campaign. However, I note that much of the topic field information available in Realm Works at the moment is purely Pathfinder based... are there any plans to allow users to choose which HeroLab package they are using for a specific Realm in Realm Works?

cheers
Ozymandias
Ozymandias is offline   #1
Elindor

Old December 24th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Realm Works is intended as a generic framework, and you can see that in the overall topic list (how often do different planets come up when plotting a Pathfinder game that isn't based on Spelljammer?). Most of the prepopulated content is system agnostic too (Challenge Level, Class and Race are probably the only system specific tags).

That said, Pathfinder (and D&D) are the 800 pound gorillas in the RPG market at the moment, so if you're prepopulating data, it's probably a better starting point than many others.

Handy Hint - if you are using a Race/Class system, you can uncheck the "Shown" checkbox under tag details (Right side of the screen) and it won't be used, and you can add extra tags as needed. I've been using Realm Works for tracking my Marvel Heroic Game since I got hold of it, and I'm working up a Cortex Fantasy Game world with the software too. over 90% of the races, and most of the classes, have no relevance to the new game, but the vast majority of the information categorization is useful to me with no modification.
Elindor is offline   #2
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
As @Elindor indicated, Realm Works is completely generic. We've been very diligent about providing an initial framework that is suitable across any setting or genre: fantasy, sci-fi, modern, historical, horror, etc. That being said, we also have to be mindful that the vast majority of players will be looking to use Realm Works with the big names (i.e. Pathfinder and D&D), so we've made things somewhat familiar to those users.

You are free to customize the structure of content however you choose. In general, our hope is that everyone will largely embrace the structure we've provided, since it will (a) make it easier to get started using Realm Works and (b) ensure content can be more easily shared between users. However, we realize that some users will want to throw away what we've provided and do their own thing.

You can customize the structure to your heart's content. Just go to the Manage ribbon bar at the top and select either Categories or Tags. From there, you can do whatever you want.

I recommend starting out by just hiding all the things that you don't need in your world. Then you can start modifying things that don't suit your purposes. The product is incredibly malleable.
rob is offline   #3