Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

zarlor

Old November 11th, 2016, 03:58 AM
This one is going to be totally pie in the sky and probably way down on anyones priority list, but it's been my go-to for everything lately... I'd like an output format direct from HL into the Fantasy Grounds character format. I know I can always just use the stat-block forma with the NPC extension to pull a character into FG and then convert it into a character, but that does require a lot of extra work getting things formatted fully for a character rather than what would be appropriate for an NPC.

I find these days I'm using HL to create and update my characters to help check their "legality" and figure out derived traits and such but it ends up being FG that I use at the tabletop (yeah, at the actual tabletop, not just for VTT gaming, since I've got a monitor lying flat on our gaming table making it easy to use that for rolls and such and, for one game anyway, even for running combats.) I may be the only one who would care about something like that, but I just had to make the request.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #131 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old November 11th, 2016, 08:00 AM
It seems to me that would be similar to making a character sheet. But having never used FG I can only guess. Is it in XML format?

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #132 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old November 30th, 2016, 04:24 AM
The Advances tab has a link for "Add New Advances" but it can be a little confusing that there are several other things that can be done from there that are not Advances, such as adding Permanent Injuries and New Hindrances (and maybe if my other suggestion about adding other non-Edge/Hindrance things is implemented those might go here as well.) As such I think the name of the tab and the link are not descriptive enough to all of the things that can be done from this tab. I'll have to mull over something nice and succinct as a suggestion for a name, but I'm not very good at succinct. :/

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #133 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old November 30th, 2016, 03:40 PM
If possible it might be better to just have a "Options" tab where the many non-Advances go. Then we can add in things like rank advancement (military rank). I have gotten around this by making 0-cost edges that are looked at by an eval script inside of the edge that gave the initial rank. I think my example on the forums is for Deadlands.

Also, the ability to have some customization with the Derived Traits would be awesome, especially if we can choose whether or not it is printed (like Edges, Hindrances, and Racial abilities). Then we could make use of setting-specific values that are used for other things. Plus we could add in a simple eval script that makes it not print if its value is 0.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #134 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 10th, 2017, 11:51 AM
I just noticed an issue in my Weird Wars Rome file that probably exists in some others. I noticed that I have equipment that does certain things, like the Corona Civica providing a +2 to Charisma, but that effect is always active (even if I drop the item into a pack or on the ground). Would it be possible to get the abilActive flag set on equipment so I can choose if my character is "wearing" that gear to get its effects or not?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #135 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old May 10th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Yeah, the gear mods seem to assume they'll be used-at-need which is often, but not always the case.
Paragon is offline   #136 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 10th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Ah, we just added this... we needed it for Exoskeletons.
Gear now has the Equipped flag available. Check exo's for the example.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #137 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old May 10th, 2017, 03:50 PM
I for one would like races to get thier own dedicated tab and a few "extra" dropdown and text field variables available. Likewise for racial properties.
jfrazierjr is offline   #138 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 10th, 2017, 05:34 PM
The main reason the Races definitions aren't in the standard interface because players aren't normally allowed to edit them. Those are GM-only, so they are just available in the Editor.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #139 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old May 10th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
The main reason the Races definitions aren't in the standard interface because players aren't normally allowed to edit them. Those are GM-only, so they are just available in the Editor.
Sorry, perhaps I am being dense here, but I really don't follow here. I am not quite sure what you mean about players able to edit and how it would relate.

To(hopefully) illustrate my point, I have two examples. The first is straight out of the Fantasy Companion.

Quote:
Heritage: Some half-elves retain the grace
of their elven parent. Others gain the
adaptability of their human ancestry. A
half-elf may either start with a free Edge of
his choice (as a human), or a d6 in Agility
instead of a d4.
The way this is currently implemented as two copies of the race each with different bootstraps for the choice chosen.

Now, I will grant that this is probably FAR easier for the simple case and more importantly for a simple use would require no extra coding, though if you want the actual race name to be a singular for both, you would have to add

Code:
field[livename].text = "Half-Elven"
as an eval script.

The second example is from Shaintar:

Quote:
Human
Arguably the rising race of Shaintar, the balanced physical and mental traits of humans, combined with
their inherent diversity and adaptability, has helped them weather the worst apocalyptic storms and come
out stronger in the long run. They have an average lifespan of one hundred years.

Although ubiquitous and well-known by any standards, it is worth pointing out that there are many
“variants” of humans:
• The massive, powerful, and aggressive Kalinesh
• The dark and beautiful sea-going Nazatirans
• The proud and stalwart Olarans
• The exotic and swarthy Youlin-Aradi
• The angular and lithe Camoners
• The sturdy, diverse “average” folk of the rest of the Southern Kingdoms

Even with these general tendencies, though, there is a great deal of diversity within each cultural group — frail, bookwormish Kal and massive, giant-esque Nazatirans, for example. It is also important to note that, especially within the Southern Kingdoms, it is highly possible to come across human bloodlines with noticeably fae influences.

Starting Racial Package
Adaptable: Human Heroes begin with one free
starting Edge (though they must meet its prerequisites).
Diverse: Humans begin with one free d6 in one skill
So how would you code up the above, in detail? So to be clear, the use case is:

I want to pick a human and a sub-race of human. In THIS case, the sub-race does make a difference because access to some human only edges is limited to the sub-race also. For example, the "Desert Born" Edge is limited to Humans of the Youlin-Aradi "sub-race".

Quote:
Desert-Born
Requirements: Background, Human, Agility d6+,
Vigor d8+, Strength d6+, Special
The character must be from the Eternal Desert, one
of the Youlin Aradi. One who is Desert-Born gains a +2 to
resist heat effects and a +1 to Survival checks in desert
regions. They also gain one of the following (ignore any
requirements): Alertness, Danger Sense, Fleet Footed,
or Quick.

Then there is the pesky business of a of x free skills at d6. Yes, you could just give extra skill points, but what if(for the sake of argument here), WHICH skill is chosen is important, perhaps for some future edge pre-requisites. Now this may be a way out there case, but until recently, so was a character with more than one Arcane Background.

In the later case(Shaintar Human), what I would expect based upon the way other game systems in HeroLab are configured, would be a Race tab with a drop down with the various races. Then, if a race has a sub-race, the sub-race field would become visible and allow choosing of the sub-race. Likewise, if the race or sub-race requires a choice such as which skill is my free d6 skill, a list of all skills would be presented and the user would pick the skill to be granted. Of course the would have to be code behind all of these choices, but I imagine the UI would be cleaner.

Note that I am not implementing Shaintar and it's human sub-races, but that's really beside the point as it's meant to show the concept of child "things" which are part of the Race and why I believe having it's own tab makes sense in some circumstances as well as the option to have multiple child chooser fields available for data authors or even just simple at home GM's to utilize as they see fit. There could even be a UI checkbox on the load screen JUST LIKE the "Multiple races" to allow the current method of a single popup box OR a dedicated tab for the more complex cases(in theory, I have no idea how much control one has once you get to the source options checkbox popup window).

I also realize that changing a UI is a decent sized task and I understand it's not something that would be implemented in just a few days of work and released. All I am asking is for it to be put into the queue for future consideration to be worked on.
jfrazierjr is offline   #140 Reply With Quote