Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

McQ

Old June 24th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I'm not entirely skilled at using the Eval Scripts within HeroLab, but I have quite a lot of books.

I've noticed there are a few items lacking flavor/descriptive text and there might be some books I could implement.

Question is, does anyone have a book of items/classes/feats/etc that they wish would be added? When I input something I usually just put in one thing at a time.

How do we handle our things? Send a .user file and pool it all together? Or are most of you making unique things?

I really love this program and hope to help contribute something to it.
McQ is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 24th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQ View Post
I'm not entirely skilled at using the Eval Scripts within HeroLab, but I have quite a lot of books.

I've noticed there are a few items lacking flavor/descriptive text and there might be some books I could implement.

Question is, does anyone have a book of items/classes/feats/etc that they wish would be added? When I input something I usually just put in one thing at a time.

How do we handle our things? Send a .user file and pool it all together? Or are most of you making unique things?

I really love this program and hope to help contribute something to it.
McQ, the minor things I've passed along class-wise have gone straight to cheeseweasel so he and/or Lawful G could look it over and incorporate it with their next update of, ahem, fan-produced supplemental material.

I am planning on seeing if I can "fix" what I've seen as a shortcomming with one particular item in the core material and I intend to post it to the Forum. The hope being, if it actually works as I think it will and doesn't break other things, that Mathias will incorporate the "fix" in the next update to this portion of HL.

Oh, on the topic of information & reflecting a conversation I had with Oracle68, I agree with McQ that it would be nice if there was more substance to the descriptions....like stating which book the Feat, Item or Special Ability is coming from.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; June 24th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 24th, 2011, 05:35 PM
McQ, your message said you'd noticed some feats and classes missing descriptive text, can you tell me which ones? Especially feats, as that is what I am working on at the moment.

As for unique vs whole... it is pretty hard to get a whole book done by yourself. I tend to pick one section of a book, for example all feats from Complete Warrior, and do that, as well as any prestige classes or monsters that are needed for upcoming game sessions. I think other people tend to do things more piecemeal than me.

I've heard calls for more monster races from MM2 and so on. Monsters are kind of complex though, especially since my creation of a new system when doing Monster Manual 1. Spells are pretty easy if you need to burn some time. I think prestige classes are the most interesting. Just pick something you want or need, even if you are only doing the text and not the eval scripts it is better than nothing.

As for how we collaborate, you can send e-mails to chiefweasel or shadowchemosh, or you can join the dropdox thing we have going and add them to the folder for the next release.
Lawful_g is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old June 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post

...I am planning on seeing if I can "fix" what I've seen as a shortcomming with one particular item in the core material and I intend to post it to the Forum. The hope being, if it actually works as I think it will and doesn't break other things, that Mathias will incorporate the "fix" in the next update to this portion of HL.

Hit a snag on what I was going to post so I've sent it via E-Mail to Lawful G and Cheeseweasel to see if they can find the simple error I've obviously overlooked. I only mention this so a) people won't be waiting with baited breath for my posting and b) to testify to folks that sending stuff to them gets results! No pressure.

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
McQ

Old June 24th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Lawful_G, I apologize for stating there is missing content of feats and classes. I'm mistaken, and agree that the only thing needed might be the reference of the feat/class source. I'll keep an eye out if I find anything lacking a description.

Thus far all I've added that isn't a custom build are some Stock NPCs from the Cityscape source book, some poisons and herbs from various books, and a handful of monsters from Monsters of Faerun.

I do have the Monster Manual 2 and would be willing to try and input some creatures. I doubt I could finish the book; maybe just start from CR or monster type. Being able to just plop a stock character into the Tactical Console is invaluable.

Anything else you feel needed?
McQ is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 25th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Magic items from the various Complete X books might be helpful. If you do start on MM2, be careful, since it was written in 3.0, so there is a boatload of errata to bring it up to 3.5.
Lawful_g is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
McQ

Old June 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I started with the Complete Divine, and I saw most of the Relics were added, save for one. The Dagger of Denial, an intelligent item, isn't added. And I think it's beyond my scope of ability.

Other than that, I'm working on staffs and wondering how to create the hSPELLNAME to enable a Charge Spell in the Bootstrap. I've found a few listed in the Things, but not the tab associated with them to create more.
McQ is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 25th, 2011, 04:03 PM
That tab was deleted a couple years ago. Don't know why. Just make the bootstraps as specials, I'd say.
Lawful_g is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
McQ

Old June 25th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I suppose I'm not entirely how sure to do that..

The spell I found was for Dispel Evil on some staff. It had a Tag that was ChargeUse and than the number it cost in charges.

Problem is, if I make this charge/spell from Special tab, I'll need to input all of the spell's features.

Is there a better way to do this?
McQ is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 26th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by features, but another way to do it would be to bootstrap the already existing charges bootstrapped to other staves and then just rename them using the livename field. That work better?
Lawful_g is offline   #10 Reply With Quote