Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Venger

Old September 1st, 2015, 07:12 AM
So I have the GM edition and bought the Player edition to run concurrently so I can see exactly what my players see. I understand the DB is not live and would have to update new things, thats ok. I just want to see how the Player client works

There is only one link to download both that I see.

And then install that, but I don't get a prompt to install the Player Ed. nor is there any way to launch it that I can see to set the activation code to it.

What am I missing? Do I need to MANAGE and INVITE myself kind of thing to get the Player client?

Last edited by Venger; September 1st, 2015 at 07:15 AM.
Venger is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old September 1st, 2015, 08:22 AM
Realm Works is tied to the computer account, so you can only have the GM edition *OR* the Player edition installed on one account at any one time.

If you have another account on the computer, or a laptop, you can install the other edition on *that.*

(At least, that's how I understand it. )

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old September 1st, 2015, 08:44 AM
The account on the Server is also tied to the login you used. An account is either GM or Player. RealmWorks is the same software either way.. the account you log in with determines what you see. The content of the local file is what is tied to your Windows account.. and the login to the RW Server is stored somewhere in your Windows account data.

So to see material concurrently, you need 2 machines (as Zaphod Beebledoc mentioned), AND 2 separate accounts on the RealmWorks server (one as player, the other as GM). Then your GM account will need to invite your Player account to be a player in the Realm you want to see (the player would need to be added to each Realm separately).

If your 2 machines use the same Windows roaming account (i.e., the same user data and profile are synchronized between the two), you probably can't do it that way.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old September 1st, 2015, 08:52 AM
ughh

Ok thanks.

I thought having concurrent clients would be nice for viewing as a player so I know exactly how they see it.

I have my main workstation I build things with, and a laptop I use on game day, both have the GM client installed.

So this will not work either way.

Thanks
Venger is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:00 AM
The only way you can have this work currently is to create a second Windows account on one or the other (or both) machines and then run Realm Works from that account. You can then create the player account, assuming you haven't done that yet, and then go back to your GM account and invite the player account.

Creating a second Windows account isn't very difficult and allows for clean separation for Realm Works.
davidp is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:12 AM
It's important to note that you can see your realm as a player would by selecting "Enter Player Mode", the far right option on the Home ribbon.
liz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
It's important to note that you can see your realm as a player would by selecting "Enter Player Mode", the far right option on the Home ribbon.
Hey Liz is that a pretty accurate view?
Venger is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:45 AM
It should be. If you see something that you don't think should be showing to players report it as a bug.

Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old September 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
The only way you can have this work currently is to create a second Windows account on one or the other (or both) machines and then run Realm Works from that account.
That's what I did, as I wanted a player to see what players see with no chance of them accidentally viewing something they shouldn't. I created an alter-ego with a player account, and gave him that.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
Ok thanks all very much for the replies!
Venger is offline   #10 Reply With Quote