Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MaxSupernova

Old April 11th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I've been learning the program and trying all the options and I've used it for a few small adventures, but I'm still reluctant to go whole-hog and transfer my full game world data. The actual data is easy enough to repeat if sopmething goes wrong, but once I start tagging and using relationships and all of the RW-specific stuff, that will be harder to replicate if something goes wrong.

I've hit a couple of -500 synch errors, and I've had to restart from scratch a couple of times due to weird errors when I play with categories (all logged).

I really love this program, and I think I'm ready to start the hard work, but I'm still just that little bit nervous.

Anyone else in the same boat?
MaxSupernova is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Yeah, but so what? If I crash, I'll be no worse off than I am right now.
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Having set up several Realms in Beta, and with several of them that did have issues and/or crash, I can say that Realm Works is one of the most robust, "crash friendly" programs I've ever worked with. And to give you and idea I've been in plenty of beta tests for various programs as well as being a professional Systems Administrator. I've yet to see any real data loss or any crash that the Lone Wolf folks weren't able to fix. I say just go for it!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I agree 100% with zarlor. I've had many many crashes during beta testing, and I still have all my content.

I've redone how I organize things quite frequently, and RealmWorks makes it very easy. Don't worry about getting it all right the first time. You'll likely change the way you organize as well, but it's not a huge deal.
gloranphile is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 11th, 2014, 10:08 AM
You could also do a backup on your own computer if you are really worried, though based on what I've seen on here, you don't have much to worry about!

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old April 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I still backup frequently, but haven't had to do a restore unless it's something I did.
enrious is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old April 11th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Well Im just getting started with it, and haven't had any major things go wrong yet.

But I have to admit I often jot notes during little breaks at work in Word ever since the sky was blue. More recently Ive used dropbox to store them so they are available anywhere.

RW is installed on my game laptop I keep at home. I transfer my notes and that's fairly quick and easy to do, so I always have a backup of sorts. I haven't committed solely to RW yet.

Ive only had it two weeks, so after a few months I will have a better feel if I could trust it to the max. Even then I still have to keep notes in Word because I cant install RW at work.

So with RW I don't worry except for the extra time transferring notes which I will need to do anyway.

I always sync so I would hope the latest edit of my Realm will always be there. But the 500 error mentioned made me do a Mr. Spock eyebrow raise there. Think I will do a backup this evening and after each major session just in case
Venger is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old April 12th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Okay.

I needed the little push to commit, but you've all convinced me.

Off we go into the wild world of Realm Works.
MaxSupernova is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old April 12th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Heck, I've had crash reports come up and RW remain open with zero loss of data. Say what you like about the almost constant saving: you sure as heck don't lose stuff!
Chemlak is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 12th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Heck, I've had crash reports come up and RW remain open with zero loss of data. Say what you like about the almost constant saving: you sure as heck don't lose stuff!
I would strongly recommend if you get a crash report to exit Realm Works and start again. When a crash happens, depending on the particular crash, you may be in a bad state and it is just safer to exit and restart when you have the possibility of continuing.
davidp is offline   #10 Reply With Quote