Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

KefkaZ

Old April 24th, 2014, 11:33 AM
When I close a tab, I get asked if I want to close the tab. I'd like to be able to have it not ask me that each time, so I'd like to see a checkbox in the popup saying "Do Not Show this Message next time" or something similar.
KefkaZ is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 24th, 2014, 12:03 PM
We made a conscious decision not to allow this since when you close the tab all of the state associated with the tab is tossed out. The message is there as a fail safe since you may be upset you accidentally closed a tab that had history you were planning on visiting and now you have lost that history. In general, you will find confirmations that don't have a "don't show again" option where it may be very very annoying to continue when you didn't mean to.
davidp is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 24th, 2014, 02:16 PM
As a user who would prefer to use multiple tabs (as seen in this post), I would also like to not be prompted when I close a tab. Most of the time my tabs have no important history.

If you would like to allow for user screwups, why not add "Reopen last closed tab" and/or a History? Much less annoying than a prompt dialog. (See Opera 15+/Chrome.)

In a more general sense, most confirmation dialogs should have "don't show this again" checkboxes. (But that's a different request.)

Last edited by Parody; April 24th, 2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Add additional suggestion.
Parody is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old April 24th, 2014, 04:21 PM
+1 to this. I would suggest that as a general rule, "choose a safe default and let the user override it (with appropriate warnings) if the user wishes" is a much better user-focused design than "we decided not to allow this because we think it's safer this way".

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old April 24th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
We made a conscious decision not to allow this since when you close the tab all of the state associated with the tab is tossed out. The message is there as a fail safe since you may be upset you accidentally closed a tab that had history you were planning on visiting and now you have lost that history. In general, you will find confirmations that don't have a "don't show again" option where it may be very very annoying to continue when you didn't mean to.
I guess walk me through how it is any different than if I accidentally close a tab in a browser or if I close a window in excel? Would it be possible to have the "you have unsaved information, would you like to save?" window to pop up if it was in editing mode? I'd love if the problem of accidentally closing a tab were solved in the same way my browser solves it by allowing me to ctrl-shift-t and re-open the most recent closed tab.
KefkaZ is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KefkaZ View Post
Would it be possible to have the "you have unsaved information, would you like to save?" window to pop up if it was in editing mode?
It does this second, which makes sense in the programming context. (The "Do you want to close the tab?" is in response to a user asking to close the tab, while the "Would you like to save?" dialog is triggered by the containing tab attempting to close and seeing that there are unsaved changes. They're in two different places.)

Parody is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
wheelmanforhire

Old November 19th, 2014, 06:10 PM
By the gods yes please fix this... only warn me if something is not saved... otherwise don't ask confirmation of what I told you to do.

If "prompting only when unsaved" is too difficult to add... AT LEAST give us a preference to turn this off.

This has got to be the most annoying "feature"
wheelmanforhire is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:52 AM
+1 for a preference flag to disable the confirmation.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old November 20th, 2014, 12:20 PM
One thought that crossed my mind is to turn off the Windows ding sound when the popup shows. I play music for my games from the pc and there's nothing worse than having a loud DING interrupt during some high tension or emotional music.
DMG is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 28th, 2015, 01:13 AM
+1 to this, even if it is a configurable option!

It is most annoying to have the "ping" sound occur when you're working quietly in the corner of the living room!
Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote