Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Viking2054

Old January 21st, 2017, 01:07 AM
If these are going to be web pages here on the LWD site and not RTF documents downloaded with RW updates or some other way, then why not just add in some hyperlinks from the easy to understand to the more technical document? Just explain that we neophyte users don't have to follow the links, unless we want to be bored to tears. I'd split up the technical detail articles though so they are targeted to the specific part of an article from which the hyperlink came from.
Viking2054 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 21st, 2017, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyRPG View Post
I'm disappointed; Rob promised us long and wordy.
I promised long. And I think I delivered. I hope it wasn't "wordy", since that means I rambled a lot, and I tried hard to make sure that didn't happen.
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 21st, 2017, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I promised long. And I think I delivered. I hope it wasn't "wordy", since that means I rambled a lot, and I tried hard to make sure that didn't happen.
That wasn't long. We all read RPG books for fun.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old January 21st, 2017, 04:02 AM
I think you are hitting the mark with what you are doing and wouldn't worry about a two-level approach. The folks that expect this to be easy are not going to be (or won't remain after a brief flirtation as) your customers. Those who try it and complain because it doesn't read their mind and spew out a complete realm are not your target audience. GMs who will use this know world building is HARD and do not expect that a tool to do what they envision is something their pre-schooler can sit down at and immediately employ (not saying there shouldn't be an effort to make the features approachable, of course).

And the ADD generation is not your audience. If a long article scares someone off, they are never going to sit down and build a realm. They might buy RW to use content, but they won't use most of your program and will likely never go to the manuals, the sites, or anywhere but here to ask questions like "I searched here but I cannot find my problem - how do you create a new topic?"
Bidmaron is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old February 7th, 2017, 05:43 PM
So, I noticed in Designer Diary #3 that the statblocks presented at the bottom of topics does not use the "Statblock" snippet type. Could you elaborate on why this is considered a best practice?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 7th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
So, I noticed in Designer Diary #3 that the statblocks presented at the bottom of topics does not use the "Statblock" snippet type. Could you elaborate on why this is considered a best practice?
An additional click is required to see the data, and you then have to navigate back to the original topic to continue with that particular encounter.
Farling is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 8th, 2017, 07:40 AM
So what is official use of stat block?
Bidmaron is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old February 9th, 2017, 02:53 AM
Deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 03:37 AM.
Pollution is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Never used it...

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 9th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
I actually use it for the sole reason that it is hidden. I put the "important" stuff from a statblock/NPC into individual snippets in the article/topic. Then I past the full statblock into the statblock snippet. This allows me "IF" I need something to get to the full information. But 99% of the time I don't need it as I have another tool that runs my combat (not-HL). This allows me to have the information I think is important at a glance or "ALL" the information a click away if I need it.

So in that way I like it.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #30 Reply With Quote