Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

jbearwillis

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I have a few scripting questions I need help on.

1) When I bootstrap a piece of gear that raise a die or gives a bonus, how do I script that piece of gear to only give it's bonus when the armor is activated (checked) and not to give it all the time or a piece of gear bought to only give it's bonus when the armor is checked as equipped.

2) How do I script the gear to only be able to be bought only when you have one of the three types of powered armor I have (They are light, Medium, and heavy powered armor).

3) How would I script armor to allow only so many pieces of gear (Lets call them Mods) to be attached to them.

That's all I can think of as of right now - any help is most appreciated.

Last edited by jbearwillis; November 30th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
jbearwillis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:06 PM
1. You can check the value of the grIsEquip field (field[grIsEquip].value = 1)

2. This one's a little more involved. It depends on how you want it to work - Prevent the item from appearing in the list of things available, displayed but greyed out, or give a warning if you purchase the item?

3. You could create the armor as a container, and "store" the mods in the armor. The armor could have a validation script to check how many items are in the container and give a warning if it exceeds the limit.
CapedCrusader is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM
For
1. How would I write the script to work on for the piece of gear exactly, to make it work for the 3 different armors.

2. Either having them prevented from appearing in the list of things available until one of the powered armors are picked, or displayed but greyed out, how would I go about making that script. Please explain examples out so a dumbbell like me can understand.

3) ok will that work for gear that you buy separate from the armor, because I have 3 Base powered armors and them you can buy special upgrades (Gear) to improve said armor, but only a limited amount (3,5,8) for light, medium, heavy.
jbearwillis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 26th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Just wondering if there is any answers on the scripts.
jbearwillis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 27th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Well I figured out how to get my Battle Dress (Powered Armor) and Combat Armor to work with adding modifications to those armors. You can take so many depending on what powered armor or combat armor you have. If you take more then you are allowed it throws a silent error and will show up on the validation report if you did. So my NightFall space game is coming along nicely, slower then I thought, but still much better then I hoped.

I pulled the practice I got from helping with the forgotten Realms user files (I did the Regions part in that file) in Pathfinder. Believe it or not it help with what I was trying with this game file.

Last edited by jbearwillis; December 27th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
jbearwillis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I would figure overall syntax is essentially the same, and most everything seems to revolve around treating whatever it is you want to mess with as generic "things" with dynamic tags being allowed to be created almost anywhere, so in that way it makes sense to me that work on one of the other systems would be of some use here, too. Glad to hear it's coming along and I look forward to checking it out when you're done! Maybe I can get a few clues on doing a few different things from it.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM
LOL I don't know if it's an efficient way of doing it, but I would have to say it is working and that's all that matters to me. Others might not like the way it works but I guess I can't please everybody. Right now I have to of my players testing out area's for me and they seem to like how it works so I'm please with it so far.

Oh and as far as the Pathfinder files compared to the Savage World files, so far seems very different. I have to think hard to figure out that difference to make things work - On a lot of the things I have to think much simpler on how to write things and others not so much. there is enough of a difference that I have to retrain my brain on how to do things and that's tough sometimes LOL.

Last edited by jbearwillis; December 27th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
jbearwillis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 31st, 2012, 12:03 PM
1. eval on Traits/5000
if (field[grIsEquip].value <> 0) then
~make your adjustments
endif

2. Something like this in an evalrule:
foreach pick in hero from Gear
validif (eachpick.tagis[thingid.wpSpear] <> 0)
nexteach
CapedCrusader is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 31st, 2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks cape I will give it a go. It's good to have you prowling the night again from the holidays.
jbearwillis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Gumbytie

Old August 2nd, 2023, 04:17 AM
Not sure if any of the old users here are still active but throwing this question out to jbearwillis just in case.

I came across this thread while researching other things. You mention you "solved" the problem of allowing armour to have limited modifications and even an eval script to throw out errors.

Any chance of sharing how you resolved this? I have a scifi setting that would benefit from this.
Gumbytie is offline   #10 Reply With Quote