Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Viral Platypus

Old April 7th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTenebrous View Post
Another user has already mentioned the possibility of using tables in text snippets, but I'll expound on that topic. I've used RW for awhile now, and I'm both a bit of a traditionalist, and a graphics snob, when it comes to Statblocks - I like them to look clean and nice like they were pulled straight from a published book.
You can do something similar, but not have the 'combat' stats visible all the time by saving out the formatted tables as RTF files. Then, link them to the Statblock snippet. When you view it, you can go into edit mode, you can edit the RW copy of the snippeted RTF table. Then, when necessary, you can call up the combat stats in a tab for use. For people who want less clutter in their main article page for a creature, this is a good option. You can then export out the table if you'd like to a file after editing it. (Although I seem to be having a small glitch with RTF formatting in Wordpad and Libre/OpenOffice right now. MS Word is fine)
Viral Platypus is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old September 21st, 2014, 03:04 PM
I wasn't sure what Statblocks were until I found this thread. Now I know what it is and that it's something I don't need for my game.

A suggestion I have for small stats if you don't want an external document is to create them in Mechanic Reference then link to them.
ruhar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:03 AM
I use them for fully fleshed out encounters in systems that aren't supported by Hero Lab.

For example, I sometimes run a Custom Hunter game (think Supernatrual TV show) using the White Wolf nWoD rules. Hero Lab has nWoD for Mortals, Vampires, and Changelings, but nothing beyond that. I make custom creatures for each "episode", based on the TV show, Urban Legend, Lore, nWoD creatures, oWoD creatures, etc...

Hero Lab might work great for my RotRL campaign, but I need statblocks for everything else.

To keep things clean, I use statblocks, it's not in my face, unless I need it. a quick word file template does WONDERS for this, and while a simple text block would work (and which I use for easy npcs) the BBEG generally won't format nicely in a text block (not without weird line breaks happening from one resolution to another).

Just my 2 cents.
Pollution is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old September 25th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I have just started a Dark Heresy campaign using RW and the stablock page is essential to avoid bogging down the main data with stats.
talsharien is offline   #14 Reply With Quote