Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Exmortis

Old December 8th, 2016, 09:48 AM
I am really hoping the new update solves my link crashing issues, not to mention the blocking of text to make changes appearing on random text in the category rather then the test I select.

It is not even an old realm issue, I completed the data entry for A return to the temple of elemental evil, and now am working on the A0-A4 Against the Slave Lords compilation release.

At first I thought they were gone, but as I finished A0 and moved on to A1 the link crashes began to appear, and the text selection issues started to happen. Now that I am midway through A2 the crashes really beginning to annoy me. I have submitted several link crash reports, sometimes many a day.

It has gotten to the point I am afraid to do more than one link at time, or if I forget to save before setting a link, I lose a lot of work and effort that has to be repeated.

This has become a serious stumbling block.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 8th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Are these problems with the latest version that was released last night?

Or are they problems with older versions that you're only just reporting?
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 9th, 2016, 03:49 AM
These are problems I Have a had for a long time. Just gotten worse over time.

They are also not reported, have posted about them in threads and have submitted a bug report with my database, and an awful lot of crash reports.

It is the one thing that using RW causes me grief, if I don't save literally every move I make, I risk losing work. Or if I do not watch what text randomly gets set with colors, bold or what ever change I make, I end up having to go back and fix it.

It happens on my SP3, My gamer lappy, my powerhouse desktop and my work SP4. But they do all share Windows 10. I just really hope it gets fixed is all. Since I have heard nothing sine my bug submission, I just wanted to highlight it.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security
Exmortis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 11th, 2016, 03:39 PM
The original post is jumbled and confusing enough that I can't even parse what your trying to explain here. I have no idea what the following means: "the blocking of text to make changes appearing on random text in the category rather then the test I select". Consequently, I don't know if these are bugs I've been made aware of.

If we have any chance of fixing these bugs, you need to make sure that we have the EXACT STEPS necessary to reproduce them, plus a copy of your database to use in replicating the bugs. That also means you'll need to be very careful to avoid potentially confusing typos and use accurate language to ensure that we correctly understand what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm going to follow up with the team on this, but if the existing bug reports are similar to this thread, there's not much we can do with them at this point. So PLEASE update the bug reports with as much detail as possible, as I outlined above. Thanks!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 12th, 2016, 06:08 AM
OK to outline my issue.

I create a new topic.
I CTRL+ALT+V paste text into a snippet.
I arrange, copy, modify the text into the various snippets.
I tend to save through out the process. But not always just before I want to highlight text.
I then now need to highlight text.
For aggressive encounters I highlight the possible combatant(s) in the text, so "PillHead the evil 10th level cleric". Same goes for traps.
Then I will apply BOLD, UNDERLINE, and color the text red.
Almost one in three new topics, the first time I do this in a snippet, though I have selected the above cleric, a random other line of text will get bolded, underlined and colored in another snippet.
NOT the text I have selected. I have to then correct the issues, and try again, usually, but not always this only happens once per snippet.
But since I also highlight treasure with BOLD, ITALICS, and color the text purple.
This random highlight of not the text I have selected has happened as many as three times in a row, before it settles down and modifies the text I have selected.

My link issue is simple:
I select a text I want to link, like "see room 12" on "level 4" of "the temple".
I select each text in quotes and then set the links to the room topic, the level title topic, and lastly the Temple main topic.
Save, and crash, costing me all the work I have done since the last save.
My crash reports for this behavior used to be more detailed, but since it has happened as many as four times in a session you get a little annoyed and just start putting "setting links again".

I hope I outlined this well in my bug submission, I thought I did anyway. Since the latest big update I have yet to have a link crash, so this may be solved. But I also have had less time to work than normal, so its little premature to be sure, but it is looking really good.

Oh and to my memory, it has only ever crashed once while auto linking upon save, and that was my fault, I was clicking ignore so fast and furious (player text, I do not want links) I crashed RW. Anytime I clicked ignore like a normal person should, I have never had an issue to my memory.

Thought I would add:
When filling a dungeon, or complex, or structure with many location topics, I pre make a few dozen or so. So my level 1 of a dungeon has 9 LoC1 copies, then I move to pre make 9 LoC2 copies and so on (each just an empty topic). So you see 9 copies of each topic (I pre make anywhere from 9 to 36 depending on size, and often spread out over all levels ready for renaming). I do this because without fail many early rooms need to link to a room further on, or even a different level. So in the event of stairs in room 1 on level 1 to room 1 on level 2 (this will mean a link between rooms), I will move a premade topic to level 2 of the dungeon, open it up in a new tab, name it, give it a prefix and maybe even a suffix, and save it. close that tab, and then set the link from room 1 on level 1 to room 1 on level 2. This saves me a ton of going back and setting links, It is already done.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security

Last edited by Exmortis; December 12th, 2016 at 06:25 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 12th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
OK to outline my issue.
My link issue is simple:
I select a text I want to link, like "see room 12" on "level 4" of "the temple".
I select each text in quotes and then set the links to the room topic, the level title topic, and lastly the Temple main topic.
Save, and crash, costing me all the work I have done since the last save.
My crash reports for this behavior used to be more detailed, but since it has happened as many as four times in a session you get a little annoyed and just start putting "setting links again".
Why are you doing this manually?

Assuming the topics are named "room 12," "level 4," and "temple" the linker should find the topics just fine. Even if you use such generic names in lots of places you could use suffixes to make sure the linker finds the right ones.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old December 12th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I try to avoid those custom links and manual selectios as much as possible. So, yeah, maybe you could check if can do what kbs666 suggested

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 12th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I get around this by using multiple names for rooms. The Kitchen might also be called H2 for example. This way the auto-link pics it all straight up.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 12th, 2016, 03:51 PM
I know @exmortis has thought through how he's approaching his realms. He's been at this for quite a while now and has a consistent system across many modules. So my comments are on my method for others to consider, not aimed as suggestions to him.

When I have text that states "room 12, level 4" I usually edit to make that into "Kitchen (12), level 4" where Kitchen will autolink and Kitchen has a prefix of 12. I'm not concerned about the "level 4". I've found it's faster to add the linkable text than it is to manually link; and more importantly, I've converted shorthand module-speak into English so it is more readable.

I refuse to link to room numbers because every dungeon and building uses the same conventions. There will be a million room 12's but only a few Kitchen's.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 12th, 2016, 04:10 PM
One thing that would be helpful is namespaces.

That way you could define a namespace of "evil temple of the hamster god" for instance and you could set things like "kitchen" and "front stairs" which likely will occur many times in a realm to have scope only in that namespace.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote